Posts by bringusingoodale

Shorten the jacket. You said the rest fits you well, meaning you like how it looks (here I am assuming the fit isn't really horrible, like a full size too big). You are not happy how the length looks, even though from what you described most people will say you are wearing a "proper length" jacket, but since you aren't happy, the fit seems off. I am a short guy, so I remember searching for the answer to this question as well. I sometimes buy regular length second hand...
Damn, seriously, I don't know if this forum is a curse or just a blessing disguised as a curse. I can't look into my closet without finding crappy fitting clothes now. I still wear them because I am poor, but now my shopping takes an excruciating amount of time and energy to find things that fit my measurements, and more often than not I fail at this. Damn you guys.
To my novice eye, looks pretty damn good. Not slim but no boxy; kind of perfect for the casual American look. To my Forum in training eye: First the pictures are bad. Are you sure the shoulders aren't half an inch to wide, and you can probably take in the waist a little more. There is nothing you can do about the armholes so no comment on that.
Quote: Originally Posted by potemkin_city_limits Im not totally against black blazers, I just feel like anything you can pull off with a black blazer can be done the same or better with a navy one instead. You mean those navy blazers that most people will assume is black, especially as you dine out in the evening? I think the idea of the navy blazer as the mother of all versatile pieces of clothing hinges on the fact that most navy blazers...
It really does come down to preferences. My second all purpose sport coat was a dark charcoal, i.e. black, 3 button and no vent, bought at some department store, cheap ass hell on sale. Anathema to some. I still wear it as an alternative to a sweater on cold days, I like it.
I need some guidence. I enjoy wearing my cheapo sport coats during the cold autumns and winters in Los Angeles ( ) for warmth whenever I will be going to a social gathering that is outdoors, this can be anything from a backyard barbecue to a pub where smoking and outdoor lounging will occur and where spilled drinks and ash burns may occur. Sometimes I want to wear a jacket instead of a sportcoat. What do you guys think of these kinds of...
I meant off the rack doesn't work because of the same experience you had. You will wait a long time for that 36 or 38 to become available, and when it does you won't like the fit or what have you--oh and the 38 is cut so that a slim 40 can wear it, so you will need some major alterations. I am also new to the "suit thing," and it takes time to figure out which designers and cuts will best fit you. But you don't need to resort to MTM all the time. The Brooks Brothers...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay687 I thought this was pretty good: http://www.tomjames.com/AU/news/collars.asp Those pictures are hilarious and photoshoped. Oh and I guess I am most like Jason Dial from Nashville TN. Seems like best choice for most people is medium cutaway....
Ebay doesn't even bother posting 39 and under or those in in low quantity for the sizing options up front (although that size 45 seems like an anomaly), you have to choose 36 and 38 by clicking more sizes. I just checked and this is what you get: 39 (389) 40 (5,294) 41 (674) 42 (6,091) 43 (603) 44 (4,319) 45 (121) 46 (2,755) The dreaded size 36 problem continues. You'd think MTM places would market a little more to us 38 and under people, seeing how much energy and money...
Stop measuring yourself, grab the measuring tape and go to any place where suits are sold, you know like the Men's warehouse or a department store and try on jackets. When you think one fits you right, try on the next size down, if possible. Compare them. Then measure the best fitting one using this guide http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=1463. This will give you an idea of your measurements. I did this when I was a totally new to suit buying, and seeing how I...