or Connect

Posts by stubloom

Corduroy is typically (and, in my opinion, always should be) a dry clean only fabric. Perspiration is a water-based stain and typically requires wet cleaning/soaking to be fully removed if the extent of the perspiration is not confined to a specific area such as the underarms. So you have 2 potentially conflicting issues in 1 garment: (a) perspiration, being a water-based stain, typically requires a water-based cleaning solution which may distort the nap of the fibers and...
I have one client in Phoenix with about 25 to 30 (CG and MB) and one in Toronto (SM) with about 15 to 20 Abbarchi shirts. Love the fabrics and they launder beautifully -- no starch and hand pressed, of course.
Here's my best guess: The hotel valet wasn't available and he hung his suit in a steamy bathroom to "press out the wrinkles". As Despos always says: Steam Is evil. I'd modify that slightly by saying that indiscriminate steaming, including the indiscriminate use of a steamer, is evil.
Here's some reading material. Invest a half hour of your time and you'll know more about true quality cleaning than most "dry cleaners"! 1. The shocking word of ordinary dry cleaning and shirt laundry. Link: http://www.ravefabricare.com/true-quality-cleaning/2010/3/23/the-shocking-world-of-ordinary-drycleaning--shirt-laundry.aspx 2. The 10 deadly sins of ordinary dry cleaners Link:...
Please see response on PM.
I'll try to answer your questions as carefully as possible. Please excuse my bluntness. 1. The notion that dry cleaning is "bad" for fine garments is, to put it mildly, utter nonsense. Skilled dry cleaning and hand pressing will not harm or deteriorate your fine garments. Poor dry cleaning and poor pressing will. The reason that your tailor cautions you about "dry cleaning" in general is two fold: Firstly, these tailors have often witnessed the results of poor cleaning...
I'd be happy to provide a recommendation if such service existed at that price.
To properly hand iron a suit to the standards proposed by Jeffrey Diduch (see more at www.tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com), expect to pay $50 to $75 US. Unless one operates a charity comprised of skilled pressing technicians (an unlikely scenario), there's is no possible way to deliver THAT work for anywhere close to the $10 to $25 mentioned. And anyone who says they can do THAT work for THAT price is either (a) lying, (b) not doing the work as specified or (b) has no work...
Before you "invest" in a steamer, I'd suggest that you read about steamers and the negatives associated with the misapplication of steam at http://www.tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com. Enter STEAMERS in the search engine (top right corner). Bespoke tailor, Chris Despos, has a saying that I just love...STEAM IS EVIL. Regarding perspiration and the removal of perspiration stains and related odor from wool suits, it's important to recognize that dry cleaning solvents and fluids...
I'd bet that that puckered collar is a result of the indiscriminate application of steam, either by yourself or by a cleaner. If you got it back from a cleaner in that condition, my best advice is to find a cleaner that's able to press a perfectly symmetrical light crease from gorge seam to gorge seam. It's not difficult. But the cleaner actually has to care about their work. When you visit a fine mens clothing store, you'll probably notice that all the mens suits and...