Posts by stubloom

This additional information is helpful. It's important to understand that steam -- indiscriminately applied -- is evil (credit for that term to Chris Despos). The reason your canvas bubbled is that "steaming" is not "pressing". When you steam a jacket, you're adding moisture. Moisture -- alone -- can (and, in this case, did) bubble the canvas. When you press a jacket, you're adding steam to relax the fibers and then using vacuum to extract the moisture. The application...
"I have tried pressing the front". To attempt an answer to your question, you need to explain what was done and by whom.
I agree with the advise offered that you should invest in a quality fabric and rotate your wearings. Poor quality fabric combined with excessive wear can lead to shine. As regards the widely held belief that dry cleaning is can lead to shine, I respectfully disagree. And, yes, I know I'm biased. I would put it differently: "poor dry cleaning" is "bad" for fine garments and "poor pressing" can lead to shine. POOR DRY CLEANING Truth is, not all "dry cleaning" and...
When it comes to musty smells on a nylon/cashmere/down-filled coat, there are a number of interrelated issues to consider: 1. Oil-based and water-based stains The vast majority of stains fall into one of two categories: oil-based stains and water-based stains. Oil-based stains are stains such as butter, salad dressing, steak juice, body oil, creams and lotions. To remove an oil-based stain, the garment must be pre-spotted/flushed with steam and completely hang dried....
Suit jackets and sport coats should always have a light crease from the gorge seam on the upper left all the way around the collar to the gorge seam on the upper right. The lapels should always be rolled, never creased. A creased lapel is the pressing equivalent of medical malpractice.
Vicuna should be cared for just like any other fine wool. For best results, vicuna should be dry cleaned: measured prior to cleaning, pre-spotted (particularly in the underarm area), cleaned in a gentle dry cleaning fluid and blocked to original measurements after cleaning. Caring for a vicuna sweater is no different than caring for any other fine garment. The same principles apply. You'll find the answers to caring for fine garments...
Sorry. Works now.
You had your Ricci shirt laundered? Wrong choice (my opinion, for what that's worth). But even if you did, it should have been correctly processed. For further information, read this post..... http://www.ravefabricare.com/true-quality-cleaning/2010/4/20/your-shirt-laundry-bill-of-rights.aspx
As usual, Jeffery has it spot on. While excessive and indiscriminate steaming is the hallmark of most dry cleaners, alteration/repair shops, Jiffy steamer wielding DIYers and steamy bathroom believers, the visual evidence of the bubbling caused by excessive steaming would be different. And can be wholly or substantially corrected by a skilled presser. Jeffrey has a terrific post on his blog (titled "Why I hate steamers") on the evils of excessive/indiscriminate steaming....
Yes. See links at bottom of each post.