or Connect

Posts by coonky

Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire So if it doesn't have to be all or nothing, what are the parameters? Is it okay to eat "humane" foie gras vs. gavage? Only have veal once a month? It can be whatever you want. We use titles such as "vegan" or "vegetarian" (or "heterosexual", "homosexual", "bisexual" for that matter) as a shorthand for describing ourselves. Of course not everyone fits perfectly into the mold. You can do/eat whatever you...
And about the baiting, I didn't think it would stir up such a response. I usually don't bring this stuff up in conversation, and when I do it's because I have to, i.e. I meet someone who mentions they're vegetarian/vegan. "Oh cool, I don't eat meat either." I don't get this much hate in conversation with meat eaters in person. As for why I started begin vegan? I had been thinking about it for some time, met soeone who was vegan, and then read up a little about it. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Dragon We probably eat more real vegetables than vegetarians do, but I don't think it would be possible to go full vegetarian. When do you have to kill flies? I assume it's when you want to? We use genetically-modified flies that shouldn't be let out into the environment. When we have no space for them, we kill them. Also, for some experiments, I need to dissect flies to harvest their organs.
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 I think that considering your daily activities, there's a hefty dose of irony here. I already explained my position on this.
Quote: Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro Keep telling yourself that, Mengele. Quite the exaggeration. Quote: Originally Posted by Roikins Let me know how your veganism works when you step up to injecting SD rats and balb/c mice with cancer cells or implanting osmotic pumps with chemicals to induce arthritis before having to do cardiac punctures, cervical dislocations, and then slicing them open to yank out spleens or using a...
Don't hate the vegan, but I've found that soy protein powder + vanilla soy milk tastes absolutely amazing. As in, actually tastes really good.
Here's an awesome article about buying things you don't need. Well-written, for sure. http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2009...all-order.html The quintessential part of the article: "In strictly material terms, it means you can wind up spending almost endless amounts of money on almost nothing, since we feel like we should be able to Have it All. This it leads to the fundamental modern consumer's dilemma: If you settle for too little, you're a schmuck, but if you pay...
Quote: Originally Posted by iammatt Let me understand this. Of the two outspoken vegans, we have you, an animal torturer and killer, and nosu, who doesn't eat vegetables. Does vegan = schizophrenic? To not hurt anything in your entire life is impossible. All I'm saying is that eating animals is unnecessary. To do research, it is sometimes necessary. If I have to, I kill flies. But when I do, it's for a purpose other than just having...
Quote: Originally Posted by Roikins Death, no question. I'm vegetarian most weekdays, actually. I tend to stick to a simple vegetable soup or salad for lunch and dinner M-Th, but that's so I can go meat and foie crazy on the weekends, and on the off weekday when I get bored. Can vegans take medication that was developed through animal testing or chicken egg derived vaccines? If not, the world may be better off from their death from illness. I...
She should read Catching Fire by Richard Wrangham. The author argues that cooking food makes it more nutritious, not less. He gives a different perspective. But hey, whatever floats her boat. Caloric restriction increases lifespan...