or Connect

Posts by Maharlika

More accessories!
Vetiver Extraordinaire!
Sauerkraut = disgusting.
He's always maintained this position because of his daughter. Nothing new.
May they Rest In Peace.
musc ravageur Frederic Malle
May she R.I.P.
Quote: Originally Posted by Pennglock Oh, I don't know. Maybe in some cultures. In America such excess is usually seen as a sign of insecurity and bad taste. I find that hard to understand in a capitalistic country. More on the subject of American class system and wedding. http://www.nytimes.com/1997/12/21/st...pagewanted=all
^^ Like I said, the higher the social ladder, the more 'expensive' the wedding. Think Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer. They don't talk about money, but it's an expression of their wealth. This is the same in India, South America and in Europe. I know here in U.S. it's usually the bride's family that pays the bill. In some cultures, it's the bridegroom's family that pays the bill, but then in the U.S. weddings are a joke. America has one of the highest divorce...
Wedding is a big event! It's the family's excuse to show off their wealth and social prestige. The higher the social ladder, the bigger and more expensive the event. Being worth it is entirely subjective. A family of means can easily spend 100,000 USD for the bride's wedding gown alone designed by a couturier and can invite as much as 2000 guests. The "Around the World" honeymoon of course, is a different expense.