or Connect

Posts by Mr. Sartorial

I feel that threads like these are the whole point of Manton's CBD thread. Learn it, live it, love it.
This thread makes me want to start going to a whole bunch of sham job interviews wearing different outfits to see what I get comments on.
Quote: Originally Posted by blahman In the real world, as opposed to SF sartorial lala-land, no one pays any attention to your lapels. As long as your suit is sensible enough it will be fine. If some guy in a black suit 2 sizes too big can land a position (very common), peak lapels on a well fitting suit is more than appropriate. Love this.
I'd say it falls well within the guidelines for appropriate interview dress. The only way it would draw attention is if they are Tom Ford sized monster lapels that touch your shoulders.
Quote: Originally Posted by presence Just to fit in with you co-workers, only wear a tie 2-3 times per week. A few people have said this, but I just don't get it. Am I the only one here that thinks that switching to a one-day-on one-day-off strategy seems more offputting than just wearing a tie every day? How does only wearing a tie some days help someone to "fit in" more? If anything, I think that makes it seem much more unusual on the days...
Quote: Originally Posted by Johnny24 To some people it does...Remember style is subjective, even if you are the type of style snob common to the iGent world. I have to defend the term style icon on this though. Although style is, to an extent subjective, I think that the term style icon is much more specific, the amalgamation of a number of soft attributes, some of which I've described above.
Quote: Originally Posted by blahman Does that make Bieber a style icon? I now see Bieber hair all over the place... Yes it does. Not sure if you were just saying that to get a rise or not, but now what?
Quote: Originally Posted by Kenneth Cole Haan Don't wear a tie without a jacket unless you work at Blockbuster. Source Okay, this has been mindlessly repeated enough times that I have to go after it. Why would there ever be a recommendation against wearing a shirt and tie without a jacket? Think this one through guys. What would be so objectionable to this? Here are my thoughts. Those who recommend against this are thinking of guys...
I think the average guy is much more style conscious than anyone gives him credit for (I conferred with my closet and we determined I no longer qualify as an average guy when it comes to style, hence 'him' not 'us'). He might not know how to put clothes together to be stylish, but he's aware when others are, and he senses when the class bar is being raised. I've had a lot of clients who have expressed this to me over time (eg. everyone started wearing these shirts, I need...
Quote: Originally Posted by gio3969 +1 Before you go agreeing with me too much Gio, I totally support Andre 3000 being on the list. The dude sole-handedly pioneered the preppy look in hip-hop. Being a style icon to other style icons = infinite pimp.