or Connect

Posts by Wideknot

Quote: Originally Posted by KObalto I'm a public defender and often wander the less-privileged side of Baltimore. The better dressed I am, the better I am treated. I think the attitude is "Someone who matters cares about us and is coming to check", which in many ways we are. OTOH, I've have friends who have been mugged on investigations. Not as well-dressed as me, though. I found the same thing to be true. I lived fifteen years in Federal...
I've lost a few, but the most painful one happened to my daughter. For her eighteenth birthday her grandparents bought her some insanely expensive Italian leather jacket. Unbelievably gorgeous, fit her like a glove, soft as a baby's bottom, worth every penny if you had that many pennies. She'd only had it a week or so when she was driving some friends home from a party. She laid the jacket in the back seat of the car, dropped off her friends, and came home. When she went...
I'm 55, a CEO, and have had a full beard since I was 17. About thirty years ago, my graduate school's placement officer told me I would never get a job with a beard and insisted I shave it off. My take was simple: any company that didn't want me with a beard wasn't any company I was interested in being a part of. Every interview made me an offer. Regarding women: my wife loves it and insists I keep it. Interestingly, she has three sisters, two of whom's husbands have...
^ This. True shearling coats are amazingly warm. They are also heavy as sin. Some things to look for: 1) Density of the fleece. Has it been sheared properly so that it is uniformly thick? And how thick is it? I've seen some shearling that was clipped to about 3/8" in height and others that was 3/4." makes a difference in how warm the coat is and how easy it is to wear. 2) Skin quality. Is the exterior of the coat properly tanned? I've had a bargain shearling where one of...
While my father was always immaculately dressed, I didn't learn from him, I learned from the same source he did -- my mother. Her father was a haberdasher who was very particular in his appearance. Until the day he died (he was 94) I never saw my grandfather without a tie -- even if he was tilling his garden, working in his woodshop, or changing the oil in his car. That sense of dress was inculcated into mom and she made sure it made its way into my dad and myself....
Dan Brothers on Charles Street in South Baltimore about six blocks from the harbor.
Anderson Little. http://www.andersonlittle.com/
That's what I get for missing a day!
I ran across this little gem this morning and just had to share it. It is purportedly a recording of a conversation Lyndon Baines Johnson had with Bill Haggar of Haggar clothes back in 1964. During the conversation, LBJ specifies some alterations he requires in custom pants made by Haggar. http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/79872
My shirts that have worn out, as opposed to having been damaged, have always worn in two places: the collar and the sleeve crease. I haven't figured out how to stop them from wearing at the collar, but since I've stopped creasing the sleeve the way my momma taught me, I've not had one split.