or Connect

Posts by VaderDave

Are we sure Bukowski admired him? Maybe the introduction says "hey...this is a crap book. You're a sucker for buying it because my name was on the front....Where's my check?"
I finished Fates and Furies last night. In some ways it reminded me of a Philip Roth novel, in that it starts off with a story/narrative, and then deconstructs that story until at the end of the book you have had to reconsider what you thought of each of the primary characters and their motivations. It was a good read, although a little harrowing. I downloaded Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle, Book One, last night at about 11:00. I'm about 50 pages in.
I'm about halfway through the book now. I have enjoyed it so far. I hope it's no spoiler to say that about halfway through the book you get a bit of a kick to the gut, plot-wise. I'll probably finish it up tonight or tomorrow.
I finished Two Years and then read Wonders of the Invisible World by Christopher Barzak yesterday and today. It was good. Now I'm reading Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I like it so far.
I don't know what it's made of, because the paint is solid white and doesn't show any grain beneath, but it's definitely solid. I think I (my parents) paid about $150 for it, although we later added a couple of single-coil pickups to complement the single humbucker it came with.Anyway: it's a fun, cheap, easy-to-play guitar.
I have an Ibanez Roadstar II that I bought in 1985(?), I think. I was in high school at the time. It was my first electric guitar. I still have it--I really like the maple neck and the action is really easy to play. My son is using it as his first electric now.
I hadn't seen this thread before. It was very educational.
I suppose it's important to mention that all but one of my guitars were bought in the 1980s. So the prices may be a bit skewed now. I did pick up a Gretsch Electromatic a few years back. It was just a tick under $800, but it was on sale.
Speaking of fun driving experiences: I just got my car back from the shop. It had developed a wobble in the driveshaft when accelerating in first gear, so I had the carrier and driveshaft replaced. It was great to be able to stomp on the gas and have a nice, clean, solid delivery of power. I've had this car for 11 years and it still makes me smile every time I drive it.
That makes sense.