or Connect

Posts by VaderDave

My son actually goes in for his Eagle board of review tomorrow night. So we're pretty excited for that to happen. We've got two other boys who are right behind him (one just finished his Eagle project; the other just has a project and maybe two merit badges to go).
It's funny how we take those kinds of things for granted. This week the tank refill valve in our downstairs toilet died (wouldn't stop filling, so we had to shut off the water at the wall) and it took me a couple of days to get over to Home Depot to pick up a new refill valve, although installing the new valve was a five-minute job. Those two days without a downstairs toilet were tough, let me tell you.
I've been thinking about this all day. It's pretty sobering to consider.
I went for a trail run in the 95-degree heat this evening (I just got back). Every time I came to a steep rocky hill and wanted to give up and walk, I envisioned li'l Mathis standing beside the trail, cheering me on and clapping his little hands. It gave me the strength I needed to finish strong.
Holy cow. That's a big troop. We typically have about a dozen boys. We're an LDS troop so our numbers are based almost entirely on how many 12-13 year old boys we have in our ward at any given time. We got back from scout camp a couple of weeks ago. I think it's the 20th time I've been to scout camp (16 as a leader).
Usually they're pretty good, but at the moment we have a group of boys going through the program who also have other commitments (mostly football) that seem to come first. So it's a bummer, but we'll get past it.
We had planned on doing a 50-mile backpacking trip this week with our scouts but due to a lack of parent support we have decided to cancel it. So that's a bummer. I was looking forward to a few days up at Tahoe.
Betimes when I see a language professor who is teaching his native language in a foreign land (the United States, for example), I can't help but feel like he's cheating somehow.
I hadn't realized that Li'l Mathis was a real person either. I guess I just figured he was a figment of L'inc's fever-brain imagination.
Morrissey definitely seems like a cat guy.