or Connect

Posts by VaderDave

Why does it seem like these posts are always about Farmer's Insurance? Why no scam posts about New York Life or Allstate?
Update: we hiked up to Summit Lake just north of Boreal off I-80. It was about four miles in in a really nicely marked trail. The lake was beautiful and we had it all to ourselves. At about 9:00 the heavens opened and we were treated to a deluge of rain, hail, and ruthless wind that lasted much of the night. Fortunately we had already put out our fire and were headed to bed. When morning came the sun was shining intermittently and after a quick hike around the lake...
We are headed out for a quick overnighter with my wife and son and another couple who are good friends of ours. We'll be hiking in to a small lake up by Donner in the Sierras. This is kind of a big deal for me because I'm finally getting my wife to go on a backpacking trip with us. Hopefully she has a good time and will agree to go again. Wish me luck!
Are we sure Bukowski admired him? Maybe the introduction says "hey...this is a crap book. You're a sucker for buying it because my name was on the front....Where's my check?"
I finished Fates and Furies last night. In some ways it reminded me of a Philip Roth novel, in that it starts off with a story/narrative, and then deconstructs that story until at the end of the book you have had to reconsider what you thought of each of the primary characters and their motivations. It was a good read, although a little harrowing. I downloaded Karl Ove Knausgaard's My Struggle, Book One, last night at about 11:00. I'm about 50 pages in.
I'm about halfway through the book now. I have enjoyed it so far. I hope it's no spoiler to say that about halfway through the book you get a bit of a kick to the gut, plot-wise. I'll probably finish it up tonight or tomorrow.
I finished Two Years and then read Wonders of the Invisible World by Christopher Barzak yesterday and today. It was good. Now I'm reading Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff. I like it so far.
I don't know what it's made of, because the paint is solid white and doesn't show any grain beneath, but it's definitely solid. I think I (my parents) paid about $150 for it, although we later added a couple of single-coil pickups to complement the single humbucker it came with.Anyway: it's a fun, cheap, easy-to-play guitar.
I have an Ibanez Roadstar II that I bought in 1985(?), I think. I was in high school at the time. It was my first electric guitar. I still have it--I really like the maple neck and the action is really easy to play. My son is using it as his first electric now.
I hadn't seen this thread before. It was very educational.