or Connect

Posts by Chauncey Gardner

I hope I don't sound crabby in singling out an individual case of ludicrous language or malapropism, for it's all around us night and day. Rather this just gives me the opportunity to point out that using standard language is just as important in creating a good impression as is tying a suitable knot on your tie or polishing your shoes. They really go together, so that one's presentation through dress is reflected through one's speech. When I read about "transitioning"...
There's no difficulty wearing bow ties if you tie them right. I love them. Since this thread started I've been searching in vain for 2 photos I saw somewhere in the Net, in which someone praised the look of the crooked bow tie. I seriously doubt either wearer was trying to look rakish. The cock-eyed bow tie is the bow-tie wearer's worst nightmare. You can try to straighten it for hours, yet it never stays put. I've experienced the spinning propeller effect myself --...
That's a good look, Brian, altogether successful in my viw. Why? Frankly, if my younger brother came into town for lunch wearing his collars open, unbuttoned, and arranged over his sports jacket, I'd be happy with it and feel he was dressing with a bit of spritz. After all, the "Romantic" look of poets and musicians is in resurgence today, and you've shown that the look can be achieved by just such a touch without going overboard. It's not right in all situations,...
Congratulations Jovan on the black outfit and thanks for posting a revealing facial photo. Thus we can appreciate the overall drama you've achieved via the lively interplay of your intense eyes and your polka dotted tie, tugged nonchalantly askew. My; otherwise, the outfit seen without your face might indeed seem a hodgepodge and, as you state, monotonous. You carry it off. Likewise, to my knowledge the skirted cut is part and parcel of a military blazer, and I'm sure...
Yeah, one never wants to look bad in jeans, and I've tried on a few recently that looked great on others but atrocious on me. The first thing is whether you think you actually look good in them and feel comfortable; if so, they're probably right for you. But do ask for opinions and advice when buying, and when tailoring them. Generally, I want a bit of a break on the shoes so the jeans don't look too fussy, but you can spoil the look of some styles if they are all...
I would ask Tiffany's.
Yesterday I looked at some handsome ascots in traditional stripes at Bergdorf's, rather English looking; they were available at a very good sale price. Personally I prefer Italian designs for ascots, they are more carefree, and for years I have particularly cherished one from Cucci that is a pale sky blue with rich darker blue stripes, redolent of the Mediterranean.
I hope that this, my first post, may be timely and reassuring to some members who are eyeing jackets with real, working buttons on the sleeves. They give a jacket a lovely, tailored appearance. I understand the depression that may set in when you get home with your purchase and realize the sleeves practically cover your hands, and you can't imagine a solution without removing all those button holes and sewing new ones. Arrgh! Rest assured, that's not the way it's...