or Connect

Posts by Chauncey Gardner

Quote: Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC I have still never been in Lord & Taylor here...what are their main men's brands? I always assumed it was similar to Macy's. --- Yes, I'm sure it must be very similar to Macy's (and with smaller selection, being a way smaller store). But Macy's gives me a near-complete nervous breakdown, so what department store shopping I do is satisfied at Lord & Taylor. I only discovered their Men's Dept. recently;...
Quote: Originally Posted by ryan123 Alrite guys I have eliminated some of those high end stores from my list. How about recommending me some good department stores then? === Department stores rattle my nerves, which is why I mostly settle for Lord & Taylor, which is fairly sleepy but very accommodating (Fifth Avenue at 38 Street). Simply take the far-left elevator, which discreetly whisks you right to the Men's Shop on the 10th...
I have to defend tie bars, since I do occasionally wear them, but only when I feel they'll give an outfit an unexpected lift. They can be very impressive, especially if they have some historical aspect. Likewise with other little pieces of jewelry, such as collar bars and lapel pins (which are higher on my list of favorites), I like the drama and sense of individuality, but I avoid wearing them every day. However, I feel that most men I see with tie bars fail to carry...
Connemara, Thanks for the thread, aimed at the threadbare. I've wondered why edmorel hasn't been banned, except that I guess his sexual obsessiveness is too childish to get one's dander up.
Wear exactly what you're most comfortable with and what you find flatters you. Yellow could be the right choice if it fits the outfit. With all the competition for New York positions, it doesn't hurt to come across as someone who's confident with himself, and I don't think it hurts either to be remembered as an individual among the herd. Of the colors you've suggested, the maroon sounds the least promising, but it all depends on the particular tie.
Mine seem to last forever. In fact, the tailor who made them has long since passed into the next world. So you've worried me that I might need to replace them.
Well, back to your original question, which was not whether we liked white pants but I gather was about whether your girlfriend was trying to impose her pet peeves and tastes on you or simply making an off-handed remark. I'd say to that, if you like white pants then wear them, as long as they fit your style, and that way if your girl likes the way you normally dress she'll see how nice white pants can be and appreciate your style panache. It's easy to dislike white...
The shirt is an absolute classic (and may have become even more so by hanging in your closet a few years). I think it creates a lovely mood. I would prefer it with a tie or a bow tie, unless I was just trying to look like I had suddenly decided to get more comfortable and had taken the tie off. Just start wearing it, and I imagine you'll discover its versatility.
You were so very thoughtful to share the exciting build-up to your wedding with all of us. How sly of you to get us all into the hustle and bustle by pretending you were going to go half-way with the formality. You've been too conscientious in your outfits for me to believe you would let standards drop on this grandest of occasions. I'll have to say that Brooks Brothers stiff bib shirts have always been among my proudest clothes to own, with all the collars they have...
Again I complain that it is too hard to choose. These three choices make me Howl with indecision. Why not select a triumvirate? Faced with that conundrum, the mainspring for me this time is seeing Ferlinghetti's City Lights Book Shop pictured behind Digital Denim. A wisely selected backdrop, Digital; literacy always gets my support. May City Lights be a beacon in the 21st century for intellectuals and for people who want to express themselves through the way they dress,...