Posts by IJReilly

Currently considering the bold step of a navy/orange/white linen square with a dark brown birdseye suit when wearing it with a navy turtleneck. This experiment might lead to the comeback of squares.
Pocket squares are difficult to get right, so lesser men (like myself) quit the game completely.
I certainly agree with you that these kind of rules are great starting points for those who are learning the ropes. I came off a bit strong in my initial post. As for if this is better advice than white shirts of with everything: not sure, but it's a good question. If I had to distill my advice on white shirts into one line, it would be to wear them with outfits which are predominantly blue or gray (not to the exclusion of other shirt colors, of course). As for social...
Sprout: I realize I might have missunderstood him when I watched the video. I thought he said to only wear black shoes when wearing white shirts. Maybe he meant nothing but white shirts when wearing black shoes. Still, I think these rules are archaic and have no place in modern menswear and I think more people would have more fun if they let go of them. And yes, Luca is a great dresser with a personal style, although his taste is very, very far away from my own. As for...
Wigglr, that is a great look. Never managed to make that chambray/navy tie thing work myself. Only thing I would change is ditching the pocket square. That jacket is already busy, why add more visual confusion? But I haven't worn a patterned square in years. And when I do it's the white tv fold that everybody seems to abhor! Formosa really has a great silhouette. Classic and conservative yet still modern. Would love a dark gray flannel suit from them.
Another example of algorithmic menswear. A white shirt is always a superior choice in an ensemble with a gray sports jacket (even if it is in a rough material) and blue slacks, for me (I know this is another sin which sends the menswear math crowd into a tailspin). A white button down looks great with jeans and a cardigan. White shirt, blue jacket, gray slacks, no tie and cordovan shoes is my mainstay for days in the office when I can't be bothered with thinking about what...
I guess that's acceptable, although I share Mr. Camoshitas view that t-shirt underneath a shirt is only one thing: "not cool", in both meanings of the phrase
Are you serious? This is even worse than when I found out not everyone showered everyday when I lived in France. Do you at least wear some kind of layer between yourself and your shirts?!
I have a Loro Piana storm system Mackintosh (in wool), and it's a great cold weather coat, which also deals with rain flawlessly. It's been amazingly useful. Currenly considering getting a suit made in a dark navy Loro Piana twill. I haven't asked about the price yet, but knowing these guys it will be pricey. Does one pay a lot for the brand when going with their fabrics? Are there better options at a similar price point, or cheaper options at similar quality levels? Had...
Wear a shirt three times before washing? I'm sorry, but that is just not sanitary...