or Connect

Posts by minervau

Those pocket squares are ridiculously awesome. I think I just figured out where I'm blowing that $150 credit from UrbanDaddy.
Wow, this is actually a pretty great deal. I'm hoping the cedar hangers are well-made, but in any case it cost me about $80 to pick up 4 cedar hangers, 4 regular wood hangers, and 2 tie hangers with that code. Unfortunately the free shipping did not work on the low order amount ($60 pre-tax and shipping), but $11 shipping for 10 heavy wooden items is a-OK in my book. Thanks for the heads up!
Really like the look overall. The pants and jacket are a smidge too close in color for my tastes but it's hard to tell whether that's the light and the photo quality. Are they a lighter gray than the jacket or are they actually an olive/taupe color?
Just saw Kent's watch featured on the watch blog Hodinkee. It's a fairly complimentary profile and a rare one for Hodinkee (to my knowledge, this is the first watch they've talked about that is under $1,000 . . . at least in the year or so I've been reading). Congrats, Kent!
Hey, I'm in the same boat, lawyer looking for a good briefcase. I'm searched this site and there seems to be rather sparse advice on this matter (other than: get a Swaine Adeney). One maker I've seen recommended here and who works at a very reasonable price point is Henry Tomkins Leather in the UK. Far under the $1k budget but a bag made of genuine vegetable tanned leather -- I think it's going to be my first briefcase buy.
Suit jacket or blazer + jeans = business attire? Let's not go crazy here.
What is 3"? Is that standard nowadays or is that even considered wide given how far the trend went to extremely skinny (e.g., 2") lapels? I'd say 3-3.5" is the sweet spot for suits.
May be worth hemming the pants up an inch or so, depending on the type of break you want (no break seems to be the current fashion). Otherwise well-done, it's a good fitting suit!
Depends on your standards for what "good fitting" is. If you can get an off-the-rack suit, bring it to a tailor, and be satisfied with the fit, then surely a MTM suit will be a step up from that, no? Not everyone (in fact, very few) can afford true bespoke, nor is a plane ticket to China or Hong Kong exactly a cheap flight, so let's try to give helpful advice within the implied budget of the project.To the OP, I'd say: In terms of what to ask, I'd ask what level of...
Haha seeing that was such a shock to me. Maybe it reflects that fact that most of my sartorial knowledge comes from here, and Styleforum is very good at recommending the micros or custom makers who would not compromise on material quality while offering a much more reasonable price. But I still always assumed that the huge brand names produced similar quality just at an inflated price -- not a synthetic material-based product going for $2.7k+.