or Connect

Posts by minervau

While I think some of the stuff they advertise in GQ is definitely a little ridiculous, it pays to invest in a good wardrobe, particularly given how long good clothing lasts when you take care of it. Overall, I'd say: Casual shirts - You can find good stuff for around $60-70 (polos, sport shirts, etc. from Kent Wang or Brooks Brothers) Dress shirts - $75 is pretty standard, and is the price of Brooks Brothers shirts when they're on sale for 30% off during one of the...
Just picked up a pair of black oxfords from the benchgrade collection. They are beautiful, high-quality shoes so far -- I'm glad I picked them up!
Can anyone comment on the leg opening width of the Borrelli trousers on sale at STF? The slimmest fitting pants I've worn are probably Mabitex, and those are around 8" at the leg opening and are very slim. I'm looking at the measurements on the site for these 32/48 pants, and the width at the cuff is supposedly 6.75"? That just seems impossible.
Hey, just interested in people's thoughts re: the quality of clothing at United Colors of Benetton. I've never considered them as a serious brand before, but today I happened to walk in and look at some of their clothes and was pleasantly surprised. The sport coats didn't feel particularly special, though they were cut slim and were reasonably priced (around $250 or so). I was particularly interested in the wool trousers -- they had a few flannel pairs that looked...
At $1200 there are better values to be had. It depends on the style you like. Based on your selection of the Classima, I think you could save yourself quite a bit by going with a Hamilton Jazzmaster in the $500-600 range. If you want to go German, Stowa is a great watch in the $800 range. Both more or less have the same guts as a Baume & Mercier (an ETA movement) but are much less expensive, and both are quality dress watches. The Stowa is a little more casual so is an...
A Grand Seiko is not a poor man's watch. But a $50-150 Seiko 5 is a pretty great deal at the price.
The button stance does strike me as rather high, though it's currently in fashion. Jacket length is actually pretty good, though on the shorter side of ideal. If you go by the "second knuckle" rule, the jacket looks to be hitting the base of your thumb (i.e., 1st knuckle).
Forum affiliate Kent Wang does a sort of hybrid MTM thing and does fully canvassed three pieces for under $1,000. See link: I haven't tried it myself but am strongly considering it for a very similar piece to what you're contemplating (i.e., 3 piece, light gray). The idea is that Kent sends you a base suit in your normal size, and then you note what measurements you'd like adjusted. Send it back to him with the requested measurement adjustments, pick a fabric (the...
Yeah it really depends on your personal preference. Obviously you are entitled to a full refund since the seller failed to accurately describe the item. The only question is, would you pay $195 (the price + alterations cost) for the suit? If so, keep it -- that's a pretty sick (no, amazingly sick) price for a Zegna suit. But don't keep it if it doesn't fit as you'd hoped in the jacket. If the jacket is off, especially in the shoulders or the armholes, there's not too much...
Realistically fit is more important than construction quality. I'd vote Suit Supply. A MTM where you order adjustments is ideal for the more sophisticated members of this forum who know just what they're looking for.