or Connect

Posts by scurvyfreedman

Her first loyalty was to the first male who treated her nicely. Renly danced with her. She was the ugly duckling and most men ignored her or mocked her. Her loyalty was because of fair treatment. While she became enamored with him, he continued to treat her fairly - by naming her to his Rainbow Guard when it was obviously not a woman's role and all of the others in his service were upset by it.She didn't like the Kingslayer, not because of Catelyn's anti-Lannister...
Well, Brienne is pure, but she challenges cultural norms both physically and "professionally" which makes her interesting.
Glad to have you around. We have a small band of book readers here who get into some fun discussions, some who complain there are too many pages with no content except spoiler tags who only want to discuss the show, and institches who wants to be spoiled.I opened the door earlier, so here are my favorite characters - both featured and minor:1- Arya2- Sandor Clegane3- Barristan Selmy4- Tyrion5- Wyman Manderly6- Jon Connington with a bullet7- Brienne8- Jaime9- Strong...
Good point. By the point he enters the story he's reformed, so I didn't consider his past. But, yes, he's a gray character like all the others. Except Brienne to this point they're all gray or haven't had enough personal choice to be rated any which way. With the three obviously bad actors who aren't grey enough to be discernible from evil - Joffrey the least evil of the bunch, Ramsay, and Gregor - and then there's Gregor's men and the Brave Companions including the two...
Samwell is obviously exaggerating about his father's abuse. He's the Cowardly Lion. I'm sure his father was terribly disappointed with him, but GRRM has established the unreliable narrator - they're all unreliable. I like Samwell, but I don't believe him completely. His fear and passivity have caused problems. The delays in travels lead to a death or two. Acts of omission can be as bad as acts of commission.Brandon is too young to judge. His biggest tests are ahead...
I'm not giving it to the Starks. Ned kept a bastard in his wife's house for years - came home from war with one who was just as old as his trueborn son with Catelyn. Even if it was a lie, that's a terrible burden to place on his wife - she believed her entire marriage that he broke his vow with her despite his reputation as the "honorable Ned Stark."Robb broke his marriage pact. While it was because he took Jeyne Westerling's maidenhead and didn't want to dishonor her,...
Some people refer to them as San-San. Sandor and Sansa have a very complicated relationship. His drunk speeches to her are one of the highlights of A Clash of Kings. It's in one of those speeches, after she thanks him (thank you Ser) for either saving her from the Kingsguard beating at the orders of Joffrey or the rape by the mob, he tells her how he was burned and why he hates Knights - "bugger on your Ser"; that she should give up her fanciful belief that Knights...
Ser Barristan WoW chapters:I had mentioned he had two chapters, but realized they weren't in the link I posted the other day. Here are the summaries- Don't read if you haven't finished ADwD, they won't make the least bit of sense and they will spoil plot as well. [[SPOILER]]
Good stuff. But, as you said, Arryn raised his banners and sent Robert and Ned to raise armies. Without his leadership it wouldn't have happened. Lord Hoster was obviously suggesting restraint initially, because he didn't want Brandon and his party going to KL to demand Rhaegar.All that said, I don't think it was a foregone conclusion that Robert would be king when Aerys was ultimately deposed. I think he would have been fine had it been Jon Arryn, even without an...
Gregor Clegane also qualifies.