or Connect

Posts by miran

Can someone ID the shoes this guy is wearing? What kind of leather is that? Shell cordovan? Quote: Originally Posted by A.L.Z.
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterOfReality Personally I'd refuse to go if they don't at least talk about it with you and see what your opinions are. I wouldn't worry about turning down the $85k job - a better one will pop up sooner or later. Besides, from what I read, it might appear that you may have to mentor the prodigal son, and then you might find he suddenly becomes your boss considering its a family run company. Not a situation I'd like to be...
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterOfReality I think you made the right choice at staying at your current place. For the time being. You will want a hefty increase to go to Afghanistan. I wouldn't go, not for the money that you are on and for what that company is probably getting from your government contract. My boss tried to send me to the salt ranges in Pakistan. I flatly refused, my salary isn't worth going to potential mining site, accompanied by...
So an update-- So the sinister Croat has either been disciplined or has been dismissed or I don't know...but is out of the new place for the foreseable future! In any event, the 2 seniors who own the place (+ the renegade son) are still inviting me to join the new place... My current job just landed a US government contract, for the aerial survey of Afghanistan. Yes, you read correctly. So, I will be sent to Afghanistan (operating out of a US military base), while we...
Quote: Originally Posted by A.L.Z. I am not saying anything about whether the OP made the right decision. But I do sympathize with him now, when he turned down 85k for 65k. I also had difficulty finding a job in this economy. 85k for an engineering job IS a rarity and a windfall, no matter how one gets it. I don't know why he turned it down, maybe ethical reasons, but it is tough decision especially when he has his eyes on a watch like he...
No. they did not make me a better offer. In fact, I asked my boss at my present job for a leave of absense for 1 week for "personal reasons" (to at least go and try out the new place.) He refused. I just told them at the new job that I apologize for misleading them but I have come to the conclusion that I will not be a good fit for the place. Kiss everything goodbye. I feel like shit and feel like I am a coward that could not take the bull by the horns. Back to the...
Yeah, i don't think i have the guts to do this. i'm staying put. kiss everything goodbye.
Quote: Originally Posted by gqreader239 Sounds like they want you to take knowledge from one company. Pay you 100k for one year. The information probably costs them 200k elsewhere. Atleast they get a slave to go along with it. yeah, but they agreed to remove the "theft" clause from my contract They now just get the slave with the knowledge...and they have to use their own psychological tricks to get the knowledge out coz there's no way in...
Thanks to both of you for your advice.... So i just kiss goobye to the 85k salary? with 100k in 6 months? God help me. I work in Airborne (aircraft-based) electromagnetic geophysical surveying. Clients are most mining companies that are prospecting, also governments that need special aerial surveys, etc. more romantic clients are spies who want to detect submarines from the air, antarctic and arctic/greenland surveyors and prospectors (folks on the countdown for when...
I currenlty work in a highly specialized, esoteric, technical field. There are very people who know this field. The field is really taking off now how that we are getting out of the recession, and people are hiring again. My situation now is this: - I currently work in a "morally bankrupt" company. I really don't have a future here. Most employees are jaded against this company, and the management is here to make a quick buck. - I have only worked here for 1 year,...