or Connect

Posts by inMongolia

I recognized that acorn. The tailor finished mine just two weeks ago. The red and white striped oxford was fine, but the plain white oxford from them shrunk in the wash... Acorn: [/quote]
Thought I'd share what I wear. Temps here get down to the -40s F in winter. When its that cold I'll wear wool socks with these. Lately the lows have been about -15F or so and I wear these with thin socks. The interior shot is of a brown pair, and the exterior shot is of a black pair. They're both equally furry and warm inside. Depending on the building they can be too hot inside. In my current office I keep another pair of shoes at work and change when I get...
Thanks for the replies. About how wide is the opening? I'm imagining a fairly wide opening, but that makes me think it would make the front of the pocket droop in an ugly way. (And a way that would over time distress the material) Pass through pockets are a great idea! I'm thinking of getting a fur lining in the pockets (handwarmers) and maybe there's a passthrough in the bottom of the pocket with a zipper closure in there on one side. Or do you think its better to make...
I'll soon have my new extra warm winter overcoat made--and now I'm looking for useful features to add. I've heard a few people talk about having a scarf pocket in their overcoats. I guess this is something down lower? like knee level? Does anybody have a picture of this kind of pocket that they can post? I've searched on google and on sf with no luck. Any other nifty features to add? Anybody seen well done wrist closures to keep the cold air out? Thanks for your...
Hi all. I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure that I've mastered the art of multi replies. Forgive me if my formatting is off. Quote: Originally Posted by Nicola DB with buttons but add a zipper on the inside. The zipper should be covered by the cloth when the buttons are done. Deep pockets so you can slip your hands with gloves on in. Consider one open pocket going inside so you can slip a hand inside the coat without unbuttoning...
I'm planning to have the warmest possible overcoat made this winter. Where I live in Ulaanbaatar the winter temperatures can drop down to nearly -40C and that's before you even factor in things like windchill. In winters past I layered A LOT or i wore a thick down jacket on the outside. This winter I want to look good, but I don't want to frequently take on and off a lot of layers. The heating is great inside, so I'm fine in a suit or even just a shirt. If i wear a...
I think that part of your original question had to do with age and pinstripes. I'm the same age as you and I would feel really out of place wearing pinstripes. I think it looks great on some of the older guys I see, but if I saw a 20-something wearing pinstrips I think it would look like he was posing. I think as younger guys we can go for more agressive silhouettes that the older guys can't--but we're more limited in patterns. Windowpane=okay, but a POW check looks...
That's great feedback, thanks. I didn't know twills were more wrinkle resistant. How to pinpoints and oxfords compare to poplins and twills when it comes to how easily they wrinkle?
I recently had two shirts made up from Acorn fabric. One from the Grange range and one from the Kent range. After washing them a few times I've seen that the shirt from the Grange range comes out very wrinkly. It takes 3 or 4 times as long to iron that shirt as the shirt fro the Kent fabric. Do any of you know if this is a typical difference between these two fabrics? If it is I'm afraid of ordering anything else from the grange fabric in the future.
My girlfriend works for burberry and helps to do up the mannequins that aren't already specified by their corporate office--so she has a pretty good sense of style. We agree about 90% of the time when it comes to mens clothes. Once she pushed me really hard into buying a pair of shoes that I didn't really like, but here two years later they're my favorite pair--so I try to keep that in mind when we disagree. That said, she has picked out some really gaudy ties for me...