or Connect

Posts by zalb916

Um, okay. You are certainly entitled to your beliefs.Eisenhower also felt pretty strongly about refugees. On signing the Refugee Relief Act:"In enacting this legislation, we are giving a new chance in life to 214,000 fellow humans. This action demonstrates again America's traditional concern for the homeless, the persecuted and the less fortunate of other lands."Of course, this could have been code for cheap labor and votes.The point of our refugee policy is to provide...
Ronald Reagan frequently discussed how refugees are part of America's immigration policy, including accepting those from the countries of our enemies:http://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/12/world/us-raises-quota-of-soviet-refugees-by-cutting-asians.htmlHe brought-in over half a millon refugees with far, far less screening than is done today. (see above article: "For years the United States automatically approved refugee applications from Soviet citizens who could get permission...
 Thank you for this refreshing response. Many of us on this forum love a good picture and often forget that we actually have to wear our clothes and use our kitchens. My parents have a beautiful looking centered cooktop. It sucks to work on because of the lack of counter space. I totally get where you are coming from. It sounds like you really thought about how the space would be used instead of just how it would look. Smart. Enjoy!
 Actually, Fox News did not show Pat Smith's speech live. Instead, they showed a Trump interview with Bill O'Reilly. Anybody watching the RNC on Fox News would not have seen Ms. Smith give her speech live. CNN and MSNBC did show her speech live. Fox News also did not show the Khan speech live. Again, CNN and MSNBC did show it live.
There's some right and some wrong in what he says. The vast majority of migrants are not from Mexico. They are from Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. Some have argued that the Mexican government has not done enough to stop people from those countries from entering Mexico, which allows them to get to the U.S. border. So, there is an argument about the role of the Mexican government. However, I don't think Trump actually has been making this argument, because he's...
What about the op-ed from this dude?http://nyti.ms/29cQUeS
 I'm not really sure what you mean. I repeatedly referred to both the W. and Obama administrations, which obviously would include Lynch.  Yes, she announced that the FBI would release edited transcripts. Again, this is a very deliberate strategy, and she was not hiding anything. I think Ataturk has described this strategy in the context of other types of mass shootings. When the media shows such an interest in the identity and motivation of those murderers, you actually...
 This whole "Obama won't say radical Islam" thing is so bizarre. George W. Bush didn't call it radical Islam either. "War on terror." "Fight against violent extremism." W in a speech right after 9/11: "Americans understand we fight not a religion. Ours is not a campaign against the Muslim faith. Ours is a campaign against evil."http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=65084 Hell, Rumsfeld even bitched about the W. administration doing this. "From the beginning, members of...
 This isn't entirely accurate. He had his post count reset a number of years ago when he was up around 30,000. It would be more accurate to say roughly 70,000 posts.
This leaves out a fundamental part of the equation. Let's use your 79% example. Generally, the U.S. is accepting people from the 21% who face persecution or torture from that 79%. We aren't accepting those from the 79% and have mechanisms in place to prevent their admission.Could those mechanisms be improved? Should we review our policies and laws because of national security vulnerabilities? These are reasonable questions. However, the U.S. not only has a history of...