or Connect

Posts by zalb916

This is not correct. You don't think we should have an obligation. That's fine. You are entitled to that opinion. It's not unreasonable. However, again, before you critique, you should know what you are talking about. The U.S. government very much has an explicit obligation. It's the law, and it's called the United States Refugee Act of 1980: "The Congress declares that it is the historic policy of the United States to respond to the urgent needs of persons subject to...
 The amount of screening that a refugee currently undergoes is way more extensive than it was under Eisenhower. Setting aside any policy considerations, it should be painfully obvious just based on technological advances that we can screen better. Taking into account policy considerations, our screening is much more comprehensive, because we are more wary of nefarious motivations (i.e. terrorism) than we previously were.  The U.S. is incredibly wary of bad seeds. I work in...
 Yes, Eisenhower was in power during Operation Wetback, which was a program to address illegal border crossings and illegal alien Mexicans. I'm not sure what that program has to do with refugee policy, though. That's my exact point. People, like suited, seem not to recognize that our immigration policy is multi-faceted and conflate refugees with migrants. They are not the same, and the U.S. does not treat them the same. I get it. I'm familiar with the Piobaire...
 You missed the point. The U.S. refugee policy, which is long-established and traditionally has been supported by people across the political spectrum, has not been about finding the unique value of a person. The value is about providing humanitarian relief to those facing persecution in their countries of origin. The entire premise of your argument doesn't make sense.
Um, okay. You are certainly entitled to your beliefs.Eisenhower also felt pretty strongly about refugees. On signing the Refugee Relief Act:"In enacting this legislation, we are giving a new chance in life to 214,000 fellow humans. This action demonstrates again America's traditional concern for the homeless, the persecuted and the less fortunate of other lands."Of course, this could have been code for cheap labor and votes.The point of our refugee policy is to provide...
Ronald Reagan frequently discussed how refugees are part of America's immigration policy, including accepting those from the countries of our enemies:http://www.nytimes.com/1989/01/12/world/us-raises-quota-of-soviet-refugees-by-cutting-asians.htmlHe brought-in over half a millon refugees with far, far less screening than is done today. (see above article: "For years the United States automatically approved refugee applications from Soviet citizens who could get permission...
 Thank you for this refreshing response. Many of us on this forum love a good picture and often forget that we actually have to wear our clothes and use our kitchens. My parents have a beautiful looking centered cooktop. It sucks to work on because of the lack of counter space. I totally get where you are coming from. It sounds like you really thought about how the space would be used instead of just how it would look. Smart. Enjoy!
 Actually, Fox News did not show Pat Smith's speech live. Instead, they showed a Trump interview with Bill O'Reilly. Anybody watching the RNC on Fox News would not have seen Ms. Smith give her speech live. CNN and MSNBC did show her speech live. Fox News also did not show the Khan speech live. Again, CNN and MSNBC did show it live.
There's some right and some wrong in what he says. The vast majority of migrants are not from Mexico. They are from Honduras, El Salvador, and Guatemala. Some have argued that the Mexican government has not done enough to stop people from those countries from entering Mexico, which allows them to get to the U.S. border. So, there is an argument about the role of the Mexican government. However, I don't think Trump actually has been making this argument, because he's...
What about the op-ed from this dude?http://nyti.ms/29cQUeS