or Connect

Posts by zalb916

This isn't complicated. You believe the stuff that protects you. As I've said repeatedly, believing he has TBI is the safe approach that protects the officer. Err on the side of caution to protect yourself and the individual.It's not incongruous for a cop to assume he has TBI, but also to not believe he's unarmed. Assume the stuff that makes you act more cautiously. Assuming mental health issue and the presence of a gun both make you more cautious, even if one entails...
You misconstrued a statement that was clearly a reference to a general concept and not this particular incident, ignored that there was no attribution to his wife, and forgot the five other statements I made in direct contradiction. So, no I don't really see how your reading was reasonable. You had a notion about what I was saying in your head and ran with it. That's cool. I do it too sometimes. But I'm the one who needs to be more careful?There's no magic answer. However,...
 You're just making things up. I, literally, never said that his wife said he was disabled. I said, like five times, that his wife said he had TBI. - "I've heard no more than the guy's wife saying that he has TBI in the now released video."- "The officers had reason to know that he may have TBI, because his wife was telling them."- "The jury may still be out on whether he had TBI or not. As I said, I only have heard his wife's comments."- "The officers were told he had...
It's irritating that you misconstrue what I said. First, I said TBI CAN be a disability, not TBI = disability. Although, talk to our wounded veterans. They may feel more strongly. Also, I said I've personally dealt with many instances of people exaggerating disabilities, so I'm not sure what you're trying to prove.Next, not sure why you are questioning the veracity of my experience, but whatever. These aren't PC lectures. I've worked FOR federal law enforcement agencies....
We are more than you think. Sometimes I get bored at work and like to argue and debate. Sorry.
 For numerous years, I worked on legal issues related to how law enforcement officials interact with people with disabilities, including those with TBI and other issues that impact cognitive and mental ability. I have reviewed countless documents where I had to make legal determinations about whether someone had a disability that impacted their mental capacity and awareness and have frequently found them to be exaggerated. So, yeah, I know about it. I also have traveled...
 It's relevant if the officers had reason to know about it. The officers had reason to know that he may have TBI, because his wife was telling them. If there was someone telling the officers that he had multiple convictions for assault with a deadly weapon, then that too would be a relevant factor too.
My apologies to contributing to getting us off track.I've heard no more than the guy's wife saying that he has TBI in the now released video. If true, TBI can be a very real disability. She was saying it in real time of the shooting, not just talking after the fact. I haven't seen documentation or anything, but that kind of excited utterance lends some amount of credibility to the claim of disability.More importantly to the case itself, TBI could have been very relevant to...
Quote: This sounds like it may not be as much the venue, but more about the protestor. He's gotten very rich at a young age by playing football. Correct. He's using the venue that made him rich to protest. Correct. People who become successful frequently use the very thing that made them successful as a platform to promote unrelated causes they believe in. Why is that a bad or disingenuous thing? The NFL has given him an opportunity to become wealthy in this country....
 Well, I already addressed the "you can't have a protest without doing something you're not supposed to be doing" comment by clarifying that I should have said "you generally can't have an effective protest without doing something you're not supposed to be doing." I mean, we can debate what "something you're not supposed to be doing" is. However, this isn't some crazy notion. Um, yeah, I'm saying there is a real difference between Colin Kaepernick, a football player who is...