or Connect

Posts by clockwise

I was the worst of all 28 Stylish Gentlemen this week. Maybe I should bring in Van Gaal for improved "football philosophy".
It was definitely a good 5 minutes with those 3 goals. Over the remaining 85 minutes I wasn't too happy with the quality. But the 3 points away was very useful. Overall amazing weekend with Liverpool, Tottenham, ManU and Everton all losing. I couldn't believe that ManU collapse!! From 3-1 to 3-5...
Clockwise counting 78/50: Diego Marani - New Finnish Grammar (2000) Italian author Marani, who is a linguist, has written a strange novel with some similarity to The English Patient about a man found viciously beaten in the Trieste harbour in 1943. The man has lost his memory including his language. The doctor who cares for him believes him to be a Finnish sailor. The man without memory is repatriated to Helsinki where he gradually re-learns his lost language through the...
Not really a good week for English teams in Champions League.
Not surprised that Lucarelli was the best of the three. I recently read his Carte Blanche, the first in a trilogy about Inspector De Luca, working on murder cases in war-time fascist Italy. I thought it was very very good. Camilleri is in my view more light-weight but of course also decent entertainment.
Same here, Costa as captain saved me. I feel I am in for a long grim season.
Clockwise counting 77/50: Marie-Hélène Lafon - L'Annonce (2009) Northern French small-town single mum meets Southern French farmer through a newspaper ad. The woman moves to the farm with her teenage son and they try to adapt to rural life where local people are not particularly welcoming. A solid but rather average novel.
Clockwise counting 76/50: Fritiof Nilsson Piraten - Bombi Bitt and Me (1932) This is the Swedish equivalent of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. Tall stories about amazing events and people in Skåne, the southernmost province of the country. Humorous and full of local flavour, this is Nilsson Piraten's debut novel and his most famous work. It was made into a TV series in 1968 with Swedish actor Stellan Skarsgard (later of some Hollywood fame) in the leading role. Not sure...
Clockwise counting 75/50: Naguib Mahfouz - The Journey of Ibn Fattouma (1983) In the 1980s Mahfouz apparently abandoned the style of the Western novel and this fable is a fascinating example of a more traditional Arabic narrative. Ibn Fattouma from the "land of Islam" starts a life long travel after having experienced lost love and disillusion in his youth. He travels to a number of new countries, starting with a primitive society and on to countries of apparent...
Clockwise counting 74/50: Patrick Modiano - L'Herbe de Nuits (2012) Excellent French novel about alienation, search for identity and a compulsive need to slow down time by making notes of events. The protagonist, Jean, is trying to make sense of a period of his life when he was a young man 40 years ago. His mysterious girlfriend, Dannie, was involved in something dangerous that may have included the accidental shooting of a man and contacts with people in the Moroccan...