or Connect

Posts by andy b.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. My Nicks are stitched through the sole as well as screwed. I have a pair of White's with the double midsole, and they aren't stitched through, just screwed. I think it depends on the sole and midsole options you request.
I don't think I would choose bullhide for the toe of a pair of workboots. For one thing, the wrinkles in it would be pulled almost smooth over the toe, so it would kind of defeat the purpose. The bullhide has a certain look to it, defined by the creases. I did find it fairly easy to break-in because of all the creasing. Also, it is slightly thinner than the standard smooth oiled leathers, so any gouges will be more likely to cut through the leather.
Zero rattle. Snaps are tight.
On White's (and most of these style of workboots) the toe and heel have an extra layer of leather lining anyway, so "lined" uppers really only relates to the shaft for the most part. I have a pair of Bounty Hunters (which look pretty similar to the OP's boots) with Red Dog lowers and brown bullhide shaft. I was told by Kyle that the bullhide needed to have a lining, so mine are lined. I can't say how much thinner the bullhide is, but mine are about 5 years old and...
I have that exact CPO and no issue with rattling.
It smooths out a little with Obenauf's LP on it. You can tell it is roughout, but it doesn't look like suede. If you were to put several really heavy coats on it would probably smooth it out a lot.The black smooth leather (what the roughout really is) is White's thickest leather, along with the brown smooth, as TH3515 mentioned. The Wesco boots I have with their thickest leather seemed very stiff, and still are. The Nicks leather is a little thicker and is stiff due to...
I have a pair of Smokejumpers. Black roughout lowers, smooth brown shaft, 10" height. I'd certainly buy them again! The leather was the quickest to break in of any boots I have (a few White's, Wesco and Nicks). The roughout is great because it doesn't show scratches.I do a little bit of everything for work. I'd say there's no reason not to get years of use out of a pair of Smokejumpers in the landscaping industry. Brush them off at the end of the day, and clean off...
In Nicks defense, the Tan Teton leather I used isn't a common request, and I heard it is a special order for Nicks to get it in. I was in the queue and for whatever reason my order was overlooked until the next batch came in. But yes, I did basically place the order figuring whenever I get them I get them. I'm fairly patient with these things. I've waited months for jeans, and years for firearms. If you want custom items, you aren't going to get them tomorrow.
I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I own a pair of custom lace to toe Hot Shots, so I have no direct experience with the two models you ask about, but I do own quite a few pairs of work boots.Would you be getting the stock version? The 10" height of the Hot Shot will be noticeable over the 8" height of the Ranger. I'm not saying it matters, but some people don't like boots that come too far up the calf. I like the higher cut, so it doesn't bother me. ...
I have a pair of the Orvis boat shoes (made by Gokey) http://www.orvis.com/p/worlds-most-durable-boat-shoes-by-gokey/3613 I know they aren't making the Gustin boat shoes, but I'm just saying when I bought the Orvis ones, I thought it was a little crazy paying $200 for them. After owning them for several years, I would definitely buy them again. There is no comparison to a pair of $80 boat shoes. If the Gustin shoes are of a similar quality, $160 is a great deal! I...