or Connect

Posts by andy b.

Those are definitely too long. Regarding socks, super thick socks won't necessarily make your feet sweat more. Your feet will sweat no matter what socks you wear. Socks with a high wool content (70%, and higher is better) will tend to wick moisture away from your feet, making your feet feel more comfortable whether it is 0F degrees or 90F degrees. I wear thick wool socks year round with workboots and hiking boots.Andy B
I have a question on the lighter weight "summer" denim fabrics Gustin is offering jeans in. How does this fabric compare in feel to the 13oz and heavier denims, and does it drape the same when wearing it? Does it feel "flimsy" and not hang the same over the calf and near the ankle? The #289 Irish Linen looks interesting, but I have no idea if denim this light wears similar to heavier denim. Thanks, Andy B.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. My Nicks are stitched through the sole as well as screwed. I have a pair of White's with the double midsole, and they aren't stitched through, just screwed. I think it depends on the sole and midsole options you request.
I don't think I would choose bullhide for the toe of a pair of workboots. For one thing, the wrinkles in it would be pulled almost smooth over the toe, so it would kind of defeat the purpose. The bullhide has a certain look to it, defined by the creases. I did find it fairly easy to break-in because of all the creasing. Also, it is slightly thinner than the standard smooth oiled leathers, so any gouges will be more likely to cut through the leather.
Zero rattle. Snaps are tight.
On White's (and most of these style of workboots) the toe and heel have an extra layer of leather lining anyway, so "lined" uppers really only relates to the shaft for the most part. I have a pair of Bounty Hunters (which look pretty similar to the OP's boots) with Red Dog lowers and brown bullhide shaft. I was told by Kyle that the bullhide needed to have a lining, so mine are lined. I can't say how much thinner the bullhide is, but mine are about 5 years old and...
I have that exact CPO and no issue with rattling.
It smooths out a little with Obenauf's LP on it. You can tell it is roughout, but it doesn't look like suede. If you were to put several really heavy coats on it would probably smooth it out a lot.The black smooth leather (what the roughout really is) is White's thickest leather, along with the brown smooth, as TH3515 mentioned. The Wesco boots I have with their thickest leather seemed very stiff, and still are. The Nicks leather is a little thicker and is stiff due to...
I have a pair of Smokejumpers. Black roughout lowers, smooth brown shaft, 10" height. I'd certainly buy them again! The leather was the quickest to break in of any boots I have (a few White's, Wesco and Nicks). The roughout is great because it doesn't show scratches.I do a little bit of everything for work. I'd say there's no reason not to get years of use out of a pair of Smokejumpers in the landscaping industry. Brush them off at the end of the day, and clean off...
In Nicks defense, the Tan Teton leather I used isn't a common request, and I heard it is a special order for Nicks to get it in. I was in the queue and for whatever reason my order was overlooked until the next batch came in. But yes, I did basically place the order figuring whenever I get them I get them. I'm fairly patient with these things. I've waited months for jeans, and years for firearms. If you want custom items, you aren't going to get them tomorrow.