or Connect

Posts by andy b.

That is truly the most painful part of the heavy denim, trying to button those damn buttons!! Haha! Take a Sharpie or other fat pen and jam it in the button holes and twist it around a little to soften the holes a little. It works.
It depends. On the heavily starched denim, if you wash some of the starch out, the creases won't be as sharp, and it will cut down on the fade lines a little. I have been warm-soaking almost every pair just to get the inseam shrinkage out of the way (every pair of Gustins I own has shrank in the inseam). Pairs with more than 40 or 50 days of wear still have a lot of fading. I'll have to grab a pic of my AM 16ers. They have about 150 days of wear on them, and they have...
Mine should be here soon as well! I love the heavy denim. Right now I've been wearing the Gustin 23oz for the past 40 days. They soften up after a few weeks. HAHA! I have a pair of the Gustin 26oz, and I think the 23oz actually felt a little stiffer. It all depends on the weave and thread size.
I hear you. I am so tempted by these, and for the same reasons you mention.
Everything you found is fairly normal. On the lacing, don't forget, these boots are formed on a last and stretched tightly over it, so it is normal for the laces to leave marks. They have to be laced up when formed to the last. I think all of the things you noticed are much more noticeable on the lighter-colored leathers.
I might be convinced to pick up another workshirt now that I have my size figured out. It would need to be a unique fabric, and at least 10 oz. An 18oz Super Heavy Slub would be nice.
Haha! I kind of felt the same way. Plus, I used to use rubbing alcohol to strip the finish on leather. I always felt uncomfortable using it to help break-in boots. But, if Nick's recommends it, hopefully they aren't hoping for increased sales. You get my drift?I've been using the 2-1-3 method, but if you had a pair of boots made from 1/4" thick steel, and tried lacing them different ways, does it really make a difference? LOL The "bite" is at the top cuff of the...
I do agree that White's and Wesco seem to use a lighter-weight leather for tongues. I just have never seen a different color leather used, let alone one quite so contrasting to the main boot leather. Like I said, I like the look on the Nick's boots.I've been wearing them every day since I received them Monday, and they are finally starting to soften a little. A very little. LOLOne observation I have is that due to the stiffness and 6" height, they do bite into the...
It does. I would say it seems a little stiffer initially, but the boot stays tighter over your toes. Once broken in, the LTT design stays tighter to the toe area, and feels different when it flexes. I can't say it is stiffer, just different. Probably because it feels tighter to your toes than a normal lacing method. On normal lacing the toe flexes fairly easily almost from the start. I will say, this is the third pair of LTT boots I own (one White's, one Wesco, and...
After quite a few weeks delay, my first pair of Nick's arrived yesterday. These boots are amazing! I own several pairs of White's, Wesco, and Red Wing. The leather and build quality on the Nick's is probably the best of any of them. The leather is Tan Teton, and it is the thickest, stiffest leather I have ever owned in a pair of footwear. Normally I can have a pair of new boots broken in and comfortable in a few days. These boots from Nick's are going to take weeks,...