or Connect

Posts by Pennyfeather

Quote: Originally Posted by Will The A Suitable Wardrobe store has the full line. No shipping charges in the United States and no sales tax either. Anyone know where you can get these specific Saphir products? Suede renovator Super invulner I couldn't find them on ASW or on any other North American site. In addition, the www.valmour.com site won't let you order these products for shipment to Canada (or at least it wouldn't when I last...
Quote: Originally Posted by ManofKent Happy New Year everyone. I'm not going to attempt to catch up on the past few weeks but my New Year's resolution is to try and post more regularly! New Year's day walk: [[SPOILER]] Shoes: Barker 'Nairn' Jeans: Levi 501 Flannel shirt: Uniqlo Waxed Jacket: Barbour 'Trooper' Hi MoK: Sorry for the very late response. Love the look. I've been thinking about getting a pair of Barker Nairns and I was curious. Do you consider...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jkhan82 Hey guys~ I was recently checking out some desert boots and came across some bucks at a local J. crew store. I love the color. Anyone know if their well made? quality? it says "Import". I tried doing a search but couldn't find any feedback. http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/s...7838/37838.jsp Thanks in advance! Happy Monday! You should check this out. I bought a pair of these early last...
Quote: Originally Posted by Towers Sneakers and denim tuxedos galore - to the point where I looked overdressed in a grey suit. National Arts Centre. e: beaten Out of curiosity, what kind of performance were you seeing? Something relatively high-brow?
Funny article that sums up my feelings quite well.
Quote: Originally Posted by saiyar1 Not to be purposely insulting, but how exactly is Western civilization declining? It's elitist and ridiculous; there's also an insulting connotation that the West is somehow declining into the dregs that is the East (or any other culture). Styles change and that's all. 70 years ago were they saying society was on a decline because people weren't wearing the stockings and frock-like "dresses" the kings of the...
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/05/business/05uniform.html Not sure what to make of this. The fuddy-dud part of me takes it as yet more evidence of the general decline in Western Civilization. On the other hand, when I practiced law for a very brief spasm of time (years and years ago, before the advent of office casual), we all turned up in suits, but not many us looked significantly better than Steve Jobs in his Levis and mock turtleneck, and most of us probably...
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnnyLaw I'd tend to think that, if anything, there are fewer different dress codes today than there were 80 years ago. Formal wear is a relic for all but an extremely small group of people and if you have a few suits, an odd jacket or two and some casual clothes, you can dress appropriately for pretty much any situation. I agree with you about there being less degrees of formality in modern life. But I've lately...
Quote: Originally Posted by Geezer Very good thread. Bear in mind that the typical man in the 20s owned few clothes. But he wore them to destruction. I'd be interested in knowing how many well-dressed men in 1929 managed on such a meager diet as Waugh lays out. One pair of shoes a year? Two suits? One overcoat every three years? If I could only buy one pair of shoes a year, I think I'd start to feel a little shabby no matter how well...
Quote: Originally Posted by venessian When I read the article, I read 'mis-fits' rather literally is; that is, discarded (for various reasons) clothes, made by first-rate tailors, sold in discount shops. Perhaps I'm wrong. No, I think you're probably right. It certainly makes more sense than anything I could come up with.