or Connect

Posts by Mark it 8

Quote: Originally Posted by ld111134 Many of these tea partiers oppose federal government spending...except when it benefits them, be it crop subsidies, Social Security, interstate highways, etc. Isn't this sort of the point, though? I'm not a Tea Partier, but couldnt one arguably say that these expenditures you name benefit everyone and not just a select group of recipients? (Leaving aside, of course, the argument of whether SS is a benefit...
Quote: Originally Posted by RSN125 Probably best to ignore this, but you are being sarcastic, right? I had thought it obvious, but yes. That was sarcasm. I gave it my best shot.
Quote: Originally Posted by RedLantern I guess my point is that a service based economy is like fiat currency. Services create value because people want them and decide that they are valuable. There is no intrinsic value - demand for services is inherently good. But it's demand artificially instigated by a tax, which therefore is less efficient and more costly than demand for other services, no?
Quote: Originally Posted by Piobaire So basically, increase the tax code, increase the cost of compliance, and "bye bye" recession? Don't let any kids break your windows! Quote: Originally Posted by RSN125 Yes, but that's usually the next argument. Nonetheless, taxing people to create jobs will lead to a similar problem in the long run. Besides for it being bad policy. Why do you two hate America and want to...
Quote: Originally Posted by RedLantern I don't know if you read my post, but I admit that the estate tax should be done away with for something more useful. However, just because the estate tax hasn't been more effective at preventing hereditary accumulations of wealth doesn't mean that it hasn't mitigated it to some extent. This is true. Fortunately for the Kennedy's, they got their dynasty trust locked in before the implementation of the...
Quote: Originally Posted by RedLantern I'm not saying the effects on small businesses are a myth, rather that the actual number of businesses affected is pretty small and that small businesses and family farms are pawns that the ultra wealthy trot out to drum up opposition to the esate tax. I know what you mean, but the revenue that has to be taken out of the business and the restructuring that often has to be done to ensure intact succession...
Quote: Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard Actually, I think it's a great example. Because that's the form a lot of racism takes in America. It is hidden. It is subconscious. A lot of folks don't even fully grapple with their own racial attitudes because they've never had to articulate them. They've never had to have the conversation. They might not even be fully aware of their perceptions. I believe you're channeling Lenny Bruce.
Quote: Originally Posted by RedLantern I actually wrote a law review article on estate tax this last semester. (In before Colin Powell) In all my tax readings, I have never come across a scholarly article that condemns estate tax double taxation. I did learn the following: 1. Transfer taxes are not a viable tool for raising a significant amount of revenue in proportion to the budget. One could argue that if the budget were more reasonable this...
Quote: Originally Posted by Syl Depends on how far I'll go and what I'll get out of it. If it's my company, or his staying will help me significantly in yrs to come, then sure I encourage him to stay. If I gain nothing (or not much), then I'll encourage him to look around. It may sound as if I'm lacking loyalty but sorry, looking out for #1 is my main aim; and ditto for the company - it will look out for itself first and always. So... you...