or Connect

Posts by Dangerbaby

Very trad, Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas, in merlot with the ivory hides. It's a 98, but in very good nick. I'm a bit fanatical about keeping it cleaned and polished. It seems less ostentatious to drive an old posh car. We just bought an Audi TT coupe for my wife, so now I have the best of both worlds. The Audi's a really fun little German sport car (which I get to borrow occasionally) and then I have the big sedan for everyday driving.
Thanks to StyleForum and in particular Jason (my sartorial muse) I've become a Paul Smith shoe addict. I've even graduated to the "hard stuff", a pair of blue velvet dip dyed Starr's, the coolest shoes ever. I've got quite a few in the Nero dip dye finish now, which I really like. I've read and followed the instructions here not to use black polish on them. The problem is that my Nero Pablo's were starting to get a bit scuffed in places and had a small nick near the...
Oh boy, incoming Tony's in tan hopefully on the way. I'm very excited, I've wanted a nice pair of Beatle boots for a while. Any ideas on the fit of these? They look very long and narrow like the Starr's. I'm usually an 11.5 US in most shoes. My black PS Pablos are UK 10.5 and are perfect (and so comfortable). I have Starr's in UK 10.5 (Blue Velvet!!!) which are very long and a bit loose in the heels and also in UK 10 (in black), better in the heel but a bit tight in...
I'd love to participate in a Boston meet up. I don't post much here (I'm too scared and n awe of the sartorial splendor of some of the folks here) but I read SF every day and it has become my favorite website. It's really helped me a lot and I hope brought my taste level and knowledge up quite a few notches. Heck, I even get compliments from Gary at Drinkwaters, who, of course, has impeccable taste. Unfortunately it has also caused my to spend waaaaaaay too much money...
Canali. I like almost everything they do, classic but with a bit of flair. Quality is good and it's not insanely priced. I'm not a huge fan of some of their ties, though. I also like a lot of Paul Smith, but it's definitely more hit or miss.
There's also a Paul Smith outlet in the UK right outside Portsmouth. I've gotten some good deals there. You could try calling them too. I've also seen the PS travel suits on sale at the Boston Saks. Not sure what they have right now but they were way less than 1500. I like the Byard too, but I wouldn't pay 1500 for it.
My ultimate average Joe pet peeve is definitely guys who eat dinner in "nice" restaurants wearing baseball hats. +1 if they seem to be out on a date with a woman. I mean WTF didn't anyone teach you the most basic of manners? Always take your hat off indoors and certainly in the presence of a lady. There's a scene in the Sopranos where Tony S. sees some doofus in fancy restaurant wearing his baseball cap and goes off and tells him to take off his f&*%#g hat. The guy...
Don't go to Lensacrafts/Pearle/Target/Sears etc...Don't worry which one because they are all owned by Luxotica, the Italian eyeglass conglomerate. Their salespeople are all on commision and will push you into the most expensive high index thin lense with all the additional "features" they can lop on anti-glare coatings, anit-scratch. I'm just waiting for them to come up with "extended service plans" next like the electronics stores. Maybe they should just get big no...
Congratulation your suits look very good considering the quite reasonable price range. You certainly have gone all out with the "features" and I like that, it really is attention to the details that make a huge difference for me. Thrilled to see the "belt keeper" (thanks I never knew what to call that). You don't see that a lot anymore, but I love it. I used to get that on my bespoke suits and I found it really works well. You can keep your belt a little looser and more...
Please don't let this end here. This is the greatest thread ever! The drama, the passion, the suspense. I wait with bated breath for the next chapter of this enthralling saga. Reading all 600 posting this afternoon was la thrilling rollercoaster ride of sartorial drama, happiness, tears, heartbreak, anger, recrimination. The pride before the fall. The smoldering shoulders. Better than the last Bourne movie (or the Bond which I quite liked). Stay tuned viewers for...