or Connect

Posts by Dingo

I can advise Sulka - or at least the brand - has returned. Sulka was bought by Richemont, which owns a fashion portal, Mr Porter. They have today gone live with a page for Sulka ties. It can be found here: http://www.mrporter.com/Shop/Designers/Sulka There is no indication as to whether the classic features of the Sulka tie are to make a comeback, or whether this is a simple revival of the brand without the underlying values. Hopefully a proper website and physical...
I think the detail most people don't think about is the way the sleeve is fitted into the cuff. Obviously, the sleeve is going to be larger than the cuff, because the arm is larger than the wrist, and in any event the shirt sleeve needs more circumference than the arm itself. While the sleeve naturally narrows towards the cuff, in good shirts it will still be larger than the cuff where the two meet. The most common way to deal with this is to put one or more pleats...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jim Profit Would like to know where to get these. I think there are a couple of Craftsman MTO. What do you think they cost? My local RMW dealer says he can´t get them, but it can´t be right, can it? These are crocodile MTO craftsman boots. They cost A$2,900 including GST. I saw a pair yesterday in the RM Williams store in Sydney. Your local supplier doesn't know what he is talking about. You can order...
I use my school networks all the time, not so much for jobs, as for making business connections.
Quote: Originally Posted by upnorth Dingo, would you say the veal creases a lot more, seeing that it is thinner and not as tough as the yearling? Sorry to not reply earlier. I am only an occasional visitor. Actually, because the veal is a softer and thinner leather it creases a lot less than the yearling. I also help the boots keep their shape by giving them an occasional rest on a shoe tree. The other things to do to reduce creasing...
A lot of the comlaints about leather are, I believe, the result of using the wrong polish. As members would know, RM Williams have a number of different types of leather. The finest is made from veal calf, and is lighter and softer then their yearling leather boots. The grain of the leather is different as it displays a more open grain. I have traditionally used an Australian polish called Waproo, which is more of a cream than a polish, but is utilised in the same...
I think the best type of polish depends on the leather to be dressed, and the way it has been prepared by the shoe maker. Most leather comes from older animals, and is then presented in such a way by the shoe maker that the leather is already highly polished, and has lost much of its natural grain. For these shoes, something like Angelus is very good. I wear only RM Williams boots (see my posts on the RM Williams thread ont his forum), and they have a number of...
Quote: Originally Posted by patrick_b Wow!! Great choice and picture. Is it fairly color accurate? Looks like you used flash but as far as I can remember, that's pretty accurate. I have black and chestnut craftsman's and am considering either claret or the tan you posted. However, I'd likely go with yearling instead of veal calf. I wonder if the color is a bit different w/yearling vs. veal calf? In any event, thanks for the image. I did use...
Quote: Originally Posted by kbuzz So is there any definitive information on resoling options. In other words, can say comfort craftsman be resoled with this new inner, or resoled with screwed soles? Or a hybrid? thanks As far as I understand it, the lasts are different for a boot with a comfort innersole, as compared to a normal leather innersole. This adding an comfort innersole to a normal welted or screwed sole may make the boot a...
Here are the tan veal calf craftsman boots I mentioned above. They are almost the same as the whiskey yearling except slightly yellower, and the grain of the leather is much finer. It will be interesting to see how the leather changes with a bit of wear and a bit more polish over the next six months. It might make an interesting comparison in due course. I spent the day walking around in them, and gave them a fair workout. As always the elastic is initially tight. ...