or Connect

Posts by sleeper

I got it free from Poole's - so you can probably get it there for $3000 or so, and they will throw in a suit for free. I liked the book. It is more about the company, and the individuals who created it, rather than about the styles, but it does give you a nice idea of the history of bespoke tailoring. The author had extensive access to the archives, and as it is more a company biography, than a comprehensive history, there is not a lot of detail. Definitely worth a read.
I had a friend who bought a leather frock coat after a drunken lunch in Rome, and looked very good in it. I actually used to wear Tyrolean jackets every day, and liked them a lot, despite the continuing objections of the women in my life. One of my girlfriends even made me a jacket to my design, so that I would stop wearing the Tyrolean. I never made it as far as lederhosen, though. I have a real hankering for a bowler hat, although I think I could only wear it in London.
Arvi Is Via Quadronno between Madison and Fifth - it's very narrow, with a bar on your left as you enter, with a seating area at the back, with excellent sandwiches, mostly on a ham/cheese theme? If so, I concur in your view that it's a great espresso bar. One of the nice things about New York is that it can blend the American service culture with the best that Europe has to offer, so it can in a way be better than the European original. There is a French cafe on Lexington...
I too would advise avoiding Pink. I always go to Brooks Brothers on Madison Avenue when I am in NY, but that is because I am from London, and this is a treat for me. Another regular haunt for me is Belgian Shoes (I think it's on 56th st). They are only available from this store, and I always think of them as being uniquely New York. I can't really advise you where to go for girls - when I am there, I hang out with my little sister, who lives there, and she has many nice...
I have that exact tie. I used to let a friend of mine use one of the bedrooms in my flat when he was in town, and he left a tie like that behind, and then told me to keep it, as he no longer wanted it. It looks right, but I will check the reference number when I am at home tonight
I think this is only really appropriate for a gentleman if you are engaged in some form of sporting activity (e.g. the grandfather who was fishing). It looks just about OK with your white flannels while playing cricket, tennis, or croquet. Of course, it is advertising the fact that your trousers are too large, or that you can't afford a belt. It may look good on women, but that doesn't mean that we men should try it. Last time I wore a Chanel two-piece in public, I was...
I remember meeting a friend of mine from university, who was about to join Holland and Hollland (from a management consultancy) as their brand manager, in order to capitalise on the quality of their shotgun brand. They had always been known as one of the best gunmakers, better than the more famous Purdey's, and the owners had decided to make more money off this brand. The point is, this is a gunmaker, that has added its brand to clothes, that are probably made by one of...
I had my heart broken in my last year at university - the first time is always the hardest. My advice is to put as much emotional distance between you and her as possible, and that means meeting as many women as you can, going out to dinner with them, wooing them, etc. That way you will focus on whether one of these new girls is right for you, rather than brood on what went wrong with the old one. Think about all the girls that you thought "what if?" about, and give them...
I have had bad experiences with linen trousers being machine washed, although this may be because of the ineptness of our maid. I ended up with wrinkles being fixed into the cloth, as grey lines, an effect similar to being stone-washed. Not something you want with bespoke trousers. I think they shrank as well. I now have my linen coats hand washed, and then dried on a rack. I don't have any more linen trousers on which to experiment, as I shifted over to light cotton,...
To be honest, I think that the best thing is to ignore them, and not ban them or delete their threads, and they will eventually get bored and go away. So it makes sense for Andy and the moderator not to do anything.