or Connect

Posts by shoreman80

It seems you've been exhaustive in your efforts, and I am not a professional cleaner, but if it's just collars and cuffs I would figure it would be wear/stain rather than the fabric "losing its color," especially if it's on various brands. As j mentioned, there have been good threads on properly washing shirts posted, both here and on AskAndy's forum. I find that the toothbrush method works well for me. All my french cuff shirts, particularly white and sea island, are...
As far as quality, I'm not sure about the jcrew ties. I know they're not part of the GAP-empire, but I thought I had a great deal on a couple BR ties awhile back, and the silk has stretched and the lining shifted. I'm not as delicate with my ties as I probably should be, but my other ties have always held up fine. I guess if I pay 9.99 I should be prepared for the resulting product.
For myself, I'm going to place myself most closely in jn3's category #3 (I think you have a solid, if not comprehensive, list there). I got my BA in 2002, and worked odd jobs - college admissions, office, and bartending - before finding a "real job" I liked. Though I don't have to wear suits daily, I do wear a tie/jacket. It makes me feel like I'm going to work. Also, the time I spent in the office and in the various settings of college admissions made me realize even...
While I can't rely on my girlfriend for significant wardrobe items (the ones that need to fit), she's much better than I am regarding color, texture and pattern matching, both traditional and unexpected. Hence, she's great for accessories. She has found me new and vintage ties, watches, and cufflinks, and made great recommendations on t-shirts/casual wear. And though she knows her brands, she doesn't label check. She picks out some very distinctive items that I would...
Saw someone mentioned Franz Ferdinand, I'm checking them out tomorrow night in Philly. On my current mix: Rock: Braid (they just reunited) Ted Leo/Rx (excellent, Clash-y songwriting) Secret Machines (saw em a couple weeks ago, epic rock and still catchy) Franz Ferdinand Radio 4 Lounge: Thievery Corp (does it get any classier?) Verve remixed2 (same vein) Hip hop: Kanye West Talib Madvillain And its the time of year for the funky kingston: Toots and the...
Gregory, I don't know where/if you're from in Philadelphia, but there are some pretty great places to shop around there, depending on your tastes. First, downtown, there's Boyd's at 1818 Chestnut, I think some folks on this board have mentioned it before. They have a great selection of mid-high end dressy designers, zegna etc., and a very knowledgeable staff. Prices match the retail values of the designers, unfortunately. For less formal stuff, South Street still has...
Great idea for a thread. My girlfriend of three years (I'm 23) has seen the evolution of my clothing tastes from a very split vintage vs. preppy look (I like indie rock, but I like blue blazers too) to a mash of the two. I also spend more and more on clothes. Luckily, she works at Nordstrom, so she sees worse. As far as what she hates? I now have an extensive collection of sports jackets, from new and dressy to thrift store ratty. She doesn't approve of my casual wearing...
I recently picked up a Land's End navy blazer at a thrift shop. I don't usually like the gold buttons, but this one fit well and was in great condition (and $8) so I indulged. Anyway, I looked at it more carefully at home and I noted a few details. Does anyone know if they make, or made, better stuff than you generally see from them? First, it claims, "Tailored with Pride in the USA," which surprised me. I think these run like $150 new, and that seems cheap for a us made...
A friend of mine was is 40, was a teenager during the 70s, and was really into the cultural revival of the 1950s ("Happy Days," "Grease" etc.) He stuck with it, and today still sports the (mild) ducktail haircut and the 501s and white tshirt thing. I wonder, given the 80s craze of the past year or two: I was born in 1980, and I have enjoyed VH1's 80s shows. I kind of like the revival of 80s style. Though I'm aware it's kind of absurd, and a fleeting trend, I like the new...
The advice of the other members is accurate, and I do agree that pants are more appropriate than shorts no matter what the occasion, unless it's athletic. But there is certainly something to be said for being able to wear shorts without looking stupid. I spent some time in London, and when the weather warmed up, all those brits, so debonair in the chill and damp, looked ridiculous in shorts and black socks. I'm 23, and in the summer I eagerly fall victim to frat fashion....