or Connect

Posts by blahgspot

Quote: Originally Posted by coltboy75 The suit is the Essential Charcoal. 2. The trousers need serious work from the knee up. If I did a squat, I would split them in half. The crotch hangs three inches below the bottom of the zipper. It actually looks awkard. It really restricts movement. I know that this can be fixed, but it will also change the length on the trosuers. There seems to be about two - three inches to let out the length. The...
Quote: Originally Posted by cwfritz11 Hi - New guy here... Can anyone recommend a really good shoe repair shop in Washington DC? My ancient Alden 990s were turned down by the factory restoration department the other day, but I want to get them resoled anyway. Willing to pay for top-drawer craftsmanship. Thanks! Bedo's in Falls Church has an excellent reputation, believe it's been discussed here and at...
Quote: Originally Posted by LRMD Hi, I'm new here, just graduated medical school and want to be smarter about my choice of clothes. What is the downside to non-iron shirts? These seem to wrinkle less and I can steam them easilly. Does anyone here wear them? I have been using Brooks brothers slim fit non iron, but they don't fit perfectly. I have to get a tight neck fit to get the sizing ok, but there is still extra fabric at the waist. I am...
Quote: Originally Posted by blahgspot I ordered from them recently--took almost 6 weeks to get the shirts. One turned out fine, though a tad wide (despite having used measurements from a tailored shirt). The other came out with such a tiny miniature collar that I can't even wear a tie with it! I selected "business collar," which in their visualizer appears to be a standard collar size, a tad less elongated than the traditional point collar. In reality, it...
I ordered from them recently--took almost 6 weeks to get the shirts. One turned out fine, though a tad wide (despite having used measurements from a tailored shirt). The other came out with such a tiny miniature collar that I can't even wear a tie with it! I selected "business collar," which in their visualizer appears to be a standard collar size, a tad less elongated than the traditional point collar. In reality, it is this tiny little collar that looks like a joke on a...
Quote: Originally Posted by AlanC Churchill Open Road clone Navy issue G-1 jacket Burberry flannel shirt PRL khakis Alden Indys Filson 257 I like this look; I'll dub it "No Country for Old Men" (off-duty Tommy Lee Jones)
Quote: Originally Posted by JMSBNSN Who makes the best dress shoes for around $100? I'm looking for plain toe or cap toe dress shoes preferably. I would prefer to spend much more for dress shoes but as I am in high school with no job I don't see it as possible. Thanks. I second the Allen Edmonds seconds recommendation. CALL THEM UP and ask them about Evanston/Soho seconds. They are selling them off right now for $120 as they are discontinued....
Quote: Originally Posted by heaven7 I just bought these: I'm kind of afraid they're too light to be worn with a navy/grey suit. Am I being paranoid? Oh, and I'll take recommendations on what to match them with. These are great with either navy or gray. Those who say they are "too flashy" for such uses are probably imagining them in a business setting with a bunch of drably suited Brooks-Brothers obsesionados.
Quote: Originally Posted by JesterM I may be wrong, but it seems there's a consensus that square toed shoes are to be avoided. I've owned a pair before joining the forum and routinely get complements on them. What exactly is it about them that's so bad? I'm planning to upgrade shoes and belts as my next venture. Was just curious what was wrong with my current stock. Square toed shoes are actually quite a good look for old-fashioned...
Quote: Originally Posted by amplifiedheat Exactly. you probably haven't seen an indochino in person. truth is, they are quite a bit better than most suits you see out there, if anything because their fabrics are decent (not amazing) and they are customizable to a high extent. definitely some quality control issues, but they give you a $75 alterations credit. I have been satisfied with their stuff once I accepted that they wouldn't be perfect....