or Connect

Posts by blahgspot

I would say, from my experience, the 175 last fits rather on the large side. I find a 9.5 F in this last to be almost a 1/2 size bigger than a 9.5 in Loake's capital last, and maybe 1/4 size bigger than their 026 last in the same size. This, and I fit a US 10.5D in an Allen Edmonds Macneil; a size 9.5 in the Cheaney Romney (similarly styled longwing broge) is much too big for me. **edit** After checking again, the 175 does run big, but about the same as the 026 and...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lusitano +1 There is definitly no tradition, like in England or Italy, of handmaking shoes in Portugal( neither in Spain by the way). Portugese shoemaker were once famous for their skills, but sadly we' re facing the same problems like mentioned above, people prefer brands not talent. FWIW Portugal has a strong shoemaking "industry", that produces quantity not quality. Alas there is a exemption to the norm, the...
Quote: Originally Posted by pinchi22 +1. I´ve lost track of the number of Spanairds with expensive Belfast jackets (aprox. $740 or €550) and cheap loafers. Around half of the buyers I´ve seen at Carmina are savvy foreigners. Alas, the curse of the Spaniards... here people would rather pay 400€ for Prada boots than to track down the bootmaker who will do bespoke for less than half the price! Also, it's the "glamour" of replying to the...
Wow, what a can of worms I opened with my (slightly) ironic comments about Spain, walking, and dirty streets! I can rectify to some extent by saying that the "dirty street" comment is one that can be applied to virtually any bustling city in the world. Of course, some are more dirty than others! And by dirty, I don't just mean trash-strewn. Madrid, for example, I find to suffer due to the air quality, which is one of the worst in Spain. Don't get me wrong--I love...
Quote: Originally Posted by epa Most businessmen I see in Spain don't seem to do that much of walking. I don't have the impression that most Spanish businessmen walk more than, let's say, their Swedish or German colleagues. They often drive to lunch (many restaurants have guys who park your car so that you don't have to bother about that) and drive back a bit drunk (maybe less now than a few years ago, but still...). The streets may be dirtier than the...
Great experience and service from Charles Alexander via the FS forum. Not to mention stunning ties! Thanks!
Nowadays, many shoes for designer labels are being made in Portugal. I am not impressed by them, as they tend to use cheaper leathers and the construction leaves much to be desired. As for Spanish shoes, I have had Lottusse and can say that there are several lines, the highest being 1877 Selection, followed by 1877, followed by Collection. The "Selection" features welted shoes, and is their most expensive. The leathers are decent, many are pebble-grained (not...
I find that the Knightsbridge does not run as large as other Loake lasts. I take a 9.5F in the Knightsbridge and a 10.5D in most AE's.
I have posted a review of my Thick as Thieves experience here: http://volutionsmagazine.com/home/20...m-suit-review/ For a first attempt, not bad, especially when compared to indochino. The shoulders were spot on (as you all know, this is a true black hole for alterations) though the jacket needed about $30 of tailoring (taking in the sides). The fabric is a petrol blue (still available?) and was nice but a bit itchy. The pants fit incredibly well! Not like some...
Quote: Originally Posted by LorenzL I got the suit back and took some new pictures, what do you think, is it ok? I have to say I'm feeling pretty good in it My only critique is with the shoulders; for some reason, if you don't truly suppress your shoulder measurements, these suits like to hang out far beyond your natural shoulder... E. Ramos http://www.volutionsmagazine.com