or Connect

Posts by Captain Winky

Quote: Originally Posted by Douglas If it's truly as you describe, then it should be doable. Just be careful - the pockets aren't the only thing to be measuring from. I'd argue the most important measurement is from the buttoning point. You may throw the balance way off. Thanks, I will certainly take that into account. My guess is that nothing changed on this jacket vs. a stock 40r besides lengthening by an inch at the bottom, and that the...
Quote: Originally Posted by Douglas You may be overthinking this. Most of the eating clubs are really just houses of debauchery. For a normal dinner invitation, wearing a suit is a case of crazy overkill. Perhaps he needed a suit for Winter Formals, which I think might have been last weekend, but even in that case he really should have been in black tie. The fact that he got away with a suit in that situation is indicative of how lax the dress codes...
Here's the situation: I have a MTM Zegna suit that I had done when suits were being worn a bit longer. The jacket is half way between a regular and a long. However, all they did was take a stock regular pattern and add an inch at the bottom. The interior tag even lists this one as a regular. The distance from the bottom of the pocket flap to the bottom of the jacket is exactly one inch longer than on all my other suits. Is there any reason a good tailor couldn't take...
Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers will be good bets. I think RL will probably fit him a bit better given his build. In the Polo line, I think the consensus here is that the Bradford model is best for a tall slim guy. Otherwise, the Black Label suits should fit him perfectly. They're a bit more expensive, though fully canvassed. The RL store and Barney's have some good sales on these. I also happened to see a beautiful grey flannel Black Label suit for 40% off at Saks...
I like a fairly high notch but definitely don't like it when it's so high it rolls up onto my shoulder. Then it just looks like the suit is the wrong size. Generally, I like it at my collar bone.
Is your work environment going to be business formal or business casual? If more casual (no tie, perhaps a jacket, perhaps just slacks and a dress shirt) then I think loafers are appropriate. I would, however, skip any that are overly chunky or have a metal bit across the front. If you are in a business formal environment, then I would agree a black lace-up is the way to go. I like Ferragamos on sale for the sub-$400 budget, or C&J for the $6-700 budget.
A lot of stuff at Barney's is already 50% or more. I ordered a suit from the Chicago store this morning in fact, 50% off.
Quote: Originally Posted by latkaguy I would prefer a mechanical and love vintage watches. But this would be a gift for me from my workplace, and there are complications in having someone who knows bupkas about a watch going out to buy a gift watch for me, if that gift watch is a vintage one. I was actually looking at Constellations over the internet. Another complication is that I am in Canada. Are there any reliable vintage watch places in Toronto...
Quote: Originally Posted by mco543 Instead of making a new thread I figured I'd ask here if you don't mind, but do all Tom Ford suits have ticket pockets? I love the overall style of his suits but the ticket pocket usually ruins it for me. The ones I've seen do. If you're planning to buy one at MSRP, might as well do MTM and get it to your specs. Otherwise, you could always have the flap removed from the ticket pocket so it is less...
Quote: Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me. presumably he would already have it by now. so what to get the man who has everything? ask his best friend if he has talked about anything he likes lately. its always nice when the gf/wife buys something you wouldn't at all expect her to. no doubt, he's expecting you to go with the usual sweater/tie/watch gift. so try and step out of the box a bit (xbox or flat screen tv HOLLA!) Ah, so true! I...