or Connect

Posts by isshinryu101

common misconception. Actually, MOST of the shoes from those eras (20's thru early 40's) were made in more narrow sizes. People had more narrow feet... and fit was KING here. Today, even at high end shoe stores, many people will measure foot size by length... but skip the width altogether. I was in Nordstrom and the salesman didn't even know how to work the width measurement on a brannock!
those are torture... especially for the wearer! 5A is just so typical of 1940's and earlier footwear.
Been so busy, haven't even had time to see what's been posted here. some FANTASTIC shoes, gentlemen! Thanks for sharing. My quick contribution... Silvan Lattanzi Bentivegna stitched Crocodile Norwegians. Not sure exactly what kind of croc it is, but I have NEVER seen tiles with that much depth of color before... and I have seen a LOT of exotic reptile shoes.
look closely. They are not norvegese. You can clearly see the welt. They are also not bentivegna because that piece of leather that is side stitched into the upper is NOT also stitched onto the topsole. That piece is ornamental. Goodyear.
thanks!
nah. post what u like. I personally enjoy the "different" posts just as much as the mainstream.
You said it, ETHICS! Profit cannot be the only factor... IF you are a true artisan. If someone goes to an architect and demands he design a particular shaped building that the architect KNOWS will not be structurally sound, he should pass on the job.
I am a shoe addict and am constantly conditioning & polishing every one of my 100+ pairs of shoes, so it's not much of an issue to me. I have some exquisite 1940's lizard skin Nettletons that require me to condition the day before I wear them, then condition right after I take them off. Not a worry for me. I wouldn't suggest this type of shoe to every man, though.
Not a very good analogy. You compare 2 TOTALLY different species of leathers that are 100% disimilar in appearance. In the example, we are discussing the use of ultra-supple baby calf that dries out and cracks vs. a calfskin that is just as beautiful to the eye, but will actually last.
These are almost 80 years old. They have been worn over 20 times. The leather is beautiful and soft/ smooth to the touch. There is absolutely no difference in the elegance of this leather and the overly-fragile stuff we are discussing... besides the fact that these are still going strong after such a long time.