or Connect

Posts by isshinryu101

nah. post what u like. I personally enjoy the "different" posts just as much as the mainstream.
You said it, ETHICS! Profit cannot be the only factor... IF you are a true artisan. If someone goes to an architect and demands he design a particular shaped building that the architect KNOWS will not be structurally sound, he should pass on the job.
I am a shoe addict and am constantly conditioning & polishing every one of my 100+ pairs of shoes, so it's not much of an issue to me. I have some exquisite 1940's lizard skin Nettletons that require me to condition the day before I wear them, then condition right after I take them off. Not a worry for me. I wouldn't suggest this type of shoe to every man, though.
Not a very good analogy. You compare 2 TOTALLY different species of leathers that are 100% disimilar in appearance. In the example, we are discussing the use of ultra-supple baby calf that dries out and cracks vs. a calfskin that is just as beautiful to the eye, but will actually last.
These are almost 80 years old. They have been worn over 20 times. The leather is beautiful and soft/ smooth to the touch. There is absolutely no difference in the elegance of this leather and the overly-fragile stuff we are discussing... besides the fact that these are still going strong after such a long time.
I am of the belief that DWFII would not make a pair of shoes or boots out of leather that is too soft to stand up to regular pavement wear. Regardless of what the buyer THINKS he wants, if he buys the gets the wrong leather and it cracks/ falls apart, the artisan should be ashamed of himself for letting it happen.
What are you talking about "vintage brogues"? Why can't "pretty shoes for the evening" be made of leather that can deal with humidity changes and actual pavement wear? Are you talking about slippers here?One should not have to condition shoes every time they are worn. Leather should not dry out and crack after just a few wears (as I am seeing more and more of). Besides, the job of the artisan is to educate the buyer about what he should be looking for in terms of...
It makes no sense to use leather that dries and cracks so easily. Ultra-soft should not be a way to describe shoe leather.
Glove soft and supple leather on one hand is also lacking durability and requires a lot more care. Much higher rate of dryness and cracking.
excellent eye, my friend. I, too was impressed with the symmetry... especially considering that ST is a VERY asymetrical skin to begin with. Mych more difficult than gator or croc.