or Connect

Posts by isshinryu101

Heard some good things about their boots. Look rugged and rough... just as they should be.
Something about an artisan working with a set of skills, performing a task by hand and creating a beautiful item that appeals to me.
THIS is the point!!! Of course so many of the steps in shoemaking have been mechanized in order to turn out more shoes, faster & cheaper. You really can't compare the "mechanized version" of a shoemaking process to the same process being performed truly by hand.
Thanks. The leather varies from pair to pair. Like modern shoes, there was great leather & also some inexpensive stuff as well. However, it is really the luck of the draw when it comes to dryness. Storage conditions, temperature and humidity. Some shoes are so dry they are literally turning to dust. This pair was pristine. In honesty, when you do have leather than can be "revived", it usually will require more use of conditioner and cream polish throughout the rest...
WOW! Insane price. I have a Vass seller who can get shell for in the $900 range.
There is definitely a difference between modern & vintage leathers. Diet and the conditions in which the cattle live are huge factors. Also, there are a lot of international makers that are willing to pay much more for the better leather stock, so the lower and lower-mid level makers get the leftovers.Got very lucky. The humidity & temperature were excellent to prevent dryness.
Many thanks, gents. I tend to hold modern makers to Vintage standards... and it never turns out well.
In hibernation in (luckily) prime conditions... and now worn by me maybe 2-3 times per year.
I fear that your high standards are not the norm in modern times. However, it is the details which tends to set the master (in any endeavor) apart from the crowd. Bravo.
1940's Allen Edmonds RTW Oxford Captoe model. I find it hard to not hold AE to at least near a high standard since this is what they once made.