or Connect

Posts by Blackhood

I don't get why whoever is in charge of advertising on StyleForum allows these fucking automatic app-store launching things. I wanna browse the site as a member, not be taken to the App Store every 15 seconds.
Also my point wasn't that you (or anyone) isn't nice, simply that the fact of human nature is that a particularly nice person can easily be treated at least as well as the most loyal, without spending a single penny. It was a comment on the human condition, not a slight against anyone.
Undoubtedly. That was just my round about way of saying Familiarity Breeds Contempt.
Having been on the other side of the counter (though in the art business, not motors), it is very easy for salesmen/staff to allow a good customer to walk away. You are visited by 10 to 15 people per day who willingly fork over their money (that represents maybe 1% of your monthly target) with minimal fuss. It becomes incredibly hard to "go the extra mile" for a customer who spends the same money but demands a flourish. Of course the above IN NO WAY excuses rudeness or a...
I thought esquire means "in line to inherit a title, but not currently in possession" so the son of a Lord or Marquis would use it?
It isn't about avoiding language altogether - its about using your last few years of a captive audience to force them to read something that might light a fire under them instead of taking your last chance to force feed them something you know they're unlikely to enjoy.
Capable, yes. But why? This is your last chance to teach kids that books and plays can be gateways to creativity and worlds filled with love and aliens and ghosts and space and every thought that has ever made its way from pen to paper. After this age they can elect not to study it any further, and I honestly don't believe that Shakespeare is the man to bring back those kids who haven't caught the bug yet.I say this as a passionate reader with an English degree and who...
I'm English so I'm trying to convert grades to "years" and by the time kids here are ~15 they are split into two camps: those who love reading and those who don't care. We then force them into reading Shakespeare which is horrible in terms of easy-to-parse text, complex plots driven by names and cultures that bare no relevance to their day to day life.These kids are being forced to study English at this point - the ones who love it will take it further. Once they're in a...
I've always argued that at the 9th grade level you should be getting students interested in and fired up about language. Show them some Terry Pratchet or Garth Nix - show them that good books open up a whole world. Once they love books and stories - then move them on the the beautiful tapestries of Shakespeare or Chaucer. You wouldn't introduce someone to alcohol by giving them a shot of 30 year old whisky, you give them a beer. Why do we insist on throwing the most...
It's not a health check, it's just vision. Even then you only have to be able to read a license plate at 15 meters. It can't account for general lack of competency or fear of traveling at proper speeds.