or Connect

Posts by thebigcicero

No, I never got an answer! But I'm happy with them. I wear them 1-2 times per week and so far they're still great. They're comfortable (as much as a dress shoe can be, anyway), and they've held up well. The polished binder looks good actually. If you're interested in them I'd say get them. Hope that helps!
Quote: Originally Posted by Macallan The point I was making is that Church's give people a choice and there is no price difference. If people do not like polished binder, they can get calf for the same price. If Church's starting offering certain shoes only available in polished binder then I can understand concerns. That's actually a really good point. And I'm one of those that happen to prefer the polished binder!
Quote: Originally Posted by Macallan Herring Shoes sell the Consul for £335 in black calf and polished binder - is this really a shortcut by Church's? Well, I think the issue is that black calf is not corrected, whereas polished binder is corrected (at least, that's what I understand about Church's). The shortcut is not the time to prepare the leather but rather the fact that it's cheaper to use corrected grain. Although frankly their...
Quote: Originally Posted by Tidybeard The shoes in the first post don't look like polished binder to me - if you open the first pic they're not shiny enough. Looks like calf and I like the design. I like the design too. They're definitely polished binder (they come with a leaflet in that box that verifies that), but I was also surprised that they look like a nice calf because the don't have excessive shine. It seems that there are different...
Quote: Originally Posted by Marcus Brody They aren't from the new line, but for what it's worth, I really like the Church's that I have. Well, you'll notice this model is called "Paris", which I couldn't find anywhere else. I asked the Church's store (in NYC) about this and they say it's from a brand new line, called the City Line, released "this year." He went on to say that they're on a brand new last, too. so though they look similar to...
Quote: Originally Posted by txeconomist What is the purpose of the linen lining? Why would they use this instead of leather? I really like the BB patent leather laceups by Churchs, but I noticed these were linen lines as well. Should this be a concern for a pair of shoes I might wear 2x year? I like the sandlewood binder on the shannon and grafton actually fwiw. It seems there are different stories on the linen/canvas lining. Some...
Quote: Originally Posted by karlconnolly As it happens, I've recently picked up a pair of Church's in polished binder (Balmoral) as well. Will be interesting to see how they wear in the next few months, but they do fit very well. Good luck! I imagine they'll be great.
Quote: Originally Posted by Leather man Hey, if you like the shoes and they fit well you've bought well too. Years ago a seasoned shoe salesperson told me that fit if far more important than price. I was umming and aaaring over a pair of Church's vs a pair of C&Js . Like you the C&Js didn't fit as well because they were too narrow for me but I couldn't get past the fact the Church's cost more. It was good advice and I've been a fan of Church's ever...
Quote: Originally Posted by Macallan Church's are good at making good quality conservative shoes and that is what the company is about, Lobb is the same in the bespoke department. If you want fancy designs then look elsewhere, if you are not a customer of the two firms. As for price, they probably cost more in the US then in the UK; Church's do cost slightly more than C&J and I think both should be priced equally. Basing opinion only on price is...
Quote: Originally Posted by Macallan Polished binder is corrected grain. I have a pair of Church's (in polished binder) from the pre-Prada era that I still wear and several since the Prada takeover (in what Church's would call calf); although I consider them on par with Crockett & Jones, I favour Church's. I do not have anything from the City Line, what is the RRP? Thanks! I'm just so paranoid since a lot of people have been dinging on...