or Connect

Posts by shoefan

A&A Crack are stocking a 'reverse calf' in their Bespoke range of products; it is priced comparably (IIRC) to their St Crispin's baby calf, so it may be the real deal, as opposed to a split. Their Stead suede is (was?) much less expensive; I think this is generally highly regarded, but it is a split.
I don't believe so. I think Horween make the stuff that Crack sells. It is a newer product than that which Edelman offer, and it is in different thicknesses and colors. I made a pair a few years back in the blue Edelman Russian Modernya -- I don't like that leather very much. I think it has a top finish/coating that makes it perhaps waterproof for upholstery applications, and I find it has a bit of a plasticky look.I believe DWFrommer recently made a pair with some of...
I look forward to finding out what the answer is! To my eye, the quarters look most like shark, but the vamps I really have no idea. They vamps look to have almost a scale-like appearance, in that way similar to croc/alligator, but the scales being almost entirely pulled out on the toe cap would perhaps argue to the contrary, sort of as if the scales are an embossed feature. Also, those toe caps have the 'dots' that could be the result of hair follicles, which reptiles...
Kind of surprised that they would use that toe shot, given the medallion is not centered on the toe. You can see it is skewed towards the outside. Still, nice shoes.
No idea what to do. I guess you can try to get a spit shine on that area, which might blend with the balance of the toe. I am guessing the shoe is a corrected-grain leather, which basically has a plastic-like surface applied to the leather. It would appear the hear melted the surface coating.
To assert that Patek are delicate is, in my experience, incorrect. I have a PP automatic (3802/200) that has provided exceptional service for 20 years, only requiring cleaning/overhaul twice during that period, the second time after I dropped it onto concrete and the center second hand came off. The timekeeping performance has been superb. I have a Breguet ultra-thin automatic, and it has been pretty reliable as well, keeping good time and only needing the occasional...
Having just heard a presentation at the HCC on chemistry for shoemakers, it is my impression that the definition of 'oil' vs. 'wax' is not entirely clear, in that they are both comprised of hydrocarbon chains; 'wax' is comprised of longer chains and has a higher melting point, hence it is typically solid at room temperature,but I'm not sure there is a specific definition delineating the distinction. DW: you might want to reach out to the author of the presentation, as he...
You simply need to spend half your time in countries with right-hand-drive traffic -- the UK, Japan, Australia. It evens out the wear which troubles you.
I was thinking about this yesterday as I contemplated the issue of twist and the forepart. I think it would be interesting to try a last with a flat forepart -- I wonder how it would feel? I think the rationale for the convex forepart may be threefold: first, it allows the last to be a bit narrower or lower, since the curvature adds to the length across the bottom (as a curve will be longer than a straight line connecting the curve). I think many people would think the...
I am certainly not sure I am the best person to answer this, .... but,the Golding citation does seem contrary to my understanding (FWIW....).As noted in my explanation earlier, it makes sense that the inside heel of the last would be higher than the outside of the heel. Perhaps the Golding quote is describing it with the last upside down? (I've read this section of Golding myself previously and been confused.)In the forefoot, one must understand first of all that the...