or Connect

Posts by shoefan

Bump. This coat is really quite exceptional.
Very interesting, thanks. Not sure when the various firms were acquired by/incorporated into Lobb. Some likely date to times prior to the mid-50's
Here is a video which is a compilation of some old Peal family movies. Some interesting bits -- a young Terry Moore (somewhere in the 18 - 20 minute mark), a view of the leather bound order books (23:15), some lovely Peal boots at the 25 minute mark. I think BengalStripe originally put me on to this video.
Found the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_abmvsEHfI From 1945. Inflation in the UK from 1945 to 2014 would lead to prices about 40X; so, equivalent price in 2015 pounds would be about 420 GBP. A bit less than the current 3,470GBP at Lobb St James. Average wages in the UK have increased by about 138x from 1945 to today, so 1945 nominal average income would have been around 180GBP. At 2 pair/week, a maker would have made 1.80 per pair if earning average wages;...
Peal had a sort of mixed factory and handmade approach. I found somewhere a quote that Peal was the first UK customer for a welt-sewing machine by US Shoe Machinery in the late 1800's, as well as utilizing other factory-oriented machines. I don't know whether the Peal shoes/boots were GY welted or hand welted, or perhaps both were offered.I think that Foster and Cleverley would likely each be making a couple hundred pair a year; Lobb maybe has a volume comparable to the...
Yes, scores of shoe and bookmakers worked in the trade in the first half of the 20th century. If you have time on your hands, maybe you'll check this out: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/abcccbd8-9eb3-435d-b1c2-45bfde20ec01 I had heard of the leather order books; Mr. Peal (the final proprietor, 6th generation of Peal) had a wall full of the leather bound order books. I was under the impression that they had been 'pulped' when the firm shut down, but...
I assume the same. They still sell all sorts of things, like leather goods, upstairs in the store (or they did last time I visited).
Several years ago a longstanding member of the London shoemaking trade wrote out a list of the firms that were in business when he started in the trade in the 50's. Amazing to see how many firms were in the business back then. Also, I was told that on trips to the US, Peal would take 800 to 1000 orders and would visit something like 12 to 15 cities. Here is the list as given to me, with the firms that were subsumed into other firms listed in the bullets. Firms still...
Yes, sorry, brain f*rt.
The shoes below were closed by Ken, as well as being clicked by him. Note that they were not made for this pair of lasts, and my two feet are a different length, so the toe caps are: not the same length on the two shoes as made up, since they were not made taking into account the different foot lengths and I wasn't skilled enough to account for the differences while lasting the shoes; and the caps are a bit too long/the toe medallion too far up the shoe. Also, the...