Posts by Piobaire

I don't think anyone is arguing over cooking time so we can safely set that aside and say the sous vide method, from start to finish, is far longer. Indeed a vacuum sealer and immersion circulator are additional pieces of equipment however I could make the argument combined they take far less space and are multitudes less expensive than your cooktop. As I could sear the steak in a $50 countertop induction burner my point there would be just as "valid." I placed that in...
I think it's better to have a variety of ways to do things. In the last year I've grilled steaks, done the pan/butter way, and sous vide/sear method. All have produced good results, and depending on circumstances, I decided which way was fitting for the given day.
Longer cook, yes, but more work? If you have a 2" steak, and do it in one of the various traditional ways, the entire cook time is active and a steak that thick takes a bit of time to cook. To sous vide one steak it would take me five minutes to prep and under five minutes to pat dry and sear.Sous vide is a very viable and not labour intensive way to cook a nice steak. If you don't like it, or don't want to use the method, that's one thing but to say it's too much work...
So go back to my scenario where I prepare several meals at once. It takes me maybe 20 minutes to get four or five really nice dinners prepped. When I want to eat them I fill a pan with water and hit the "on" switch. For finishing it's all of five minutes from circulator to plate.
So, to sous vide steak and texture. Go read Kenji's write up on that. I think many restaurants hold them too long and they get mushy. For a thinner steak I'd go 1.5-2 hours, for my nice thick guys, 3 hours. That's a max for me.
It's USDA Prime. CostCo is a huge buyer and they don't have to fuck around. Also, don't forget, these labels are about fat content and not necessarily tenderness, although I'm sure there's a high correlation.
Well, that was ugly today.
Oh, otc, moved to the ANova more than a year ago.
Mock away but we had people over last weekend, and I only used CostCo choice, and they said it was the best steak they've ever had. The meat shines right through as sous vide with all the herbs is pretty subtle, my blend is a very light dusting, and just helps get the crust.Otc, did not realize CostCo was mechanically softening. Your table there says 1-4 (not frozen) at 130 so three hours not frozen isn't outlandish. The mechanical softening has me a little concerned...
I now get my steaks at CostCo, well marbled Prime, 2" thick ribeyes. Being CostCo, they come in packs of five-six. I buy enough packs so I get an even number. S&P aggressively on both sides. One side of the bag gets thinly sliced onion and garlic, other side gets thyme, sage, and rosemary. Whatever is not getting cooked that night gets frozen in pairs. No butter or other lipid added to bag. If fresh three hours at 130 degrees, if frozen add an hour (being able to...