or Connect

Posts by v.freeman

Quote: Originally Posted by Fuuma Now answer my series of question, does it mean that the vast majority of Americans are not "comfortable" and what does it say about system failure? Yes, I do think the vast majority of Americans will be uncomfortable. They'll just have to adjust their expectations and requirements accordingly.
How is that a narrow point? If most people won't be able to support their own retirement, how do you expect them to live a comfortable life?
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuuma That was not the point I was making. Where does this standard of "comfortable" come from and how is it distinct from being like really balling when it is almost inaccessible to people in the theoretically richest nation on earth? Why are you guys not brandishing pitchforks and destroying the social structure that doesn't allow more than 1% of your pop to live a comfortable life? Please admit that you are positing that...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fuuma So can we conclude that like 99% of Americans are not comfortable? Seems to be heading that way with people saving 5K/month for their retirement and 3k/month for the kids.... It's sad, but it's definitely true. I don't think the majority of America understands they are woefully unprepared for retirement.
$1,100,000 apartment in NYC. Assume you place 40% down, you still owe $660,000 principal. 30 year fixed mortgage rate is 4.5%, roughly $2475 a month in interest. You'd have to pay more than $4000 a month to own your home within 30 years.
Quote: Originally Posted by rjakapeanut i'm not going to have an apple debate with you. also, yeah, you can be comfortable on less than $75k in most places in this country. it all depends on what you consider comfortable. I have no intention to. But, you're also the one criticizing other peoples' supposedly lack of ability to budget when you haven't even accounted for the costs of health insurance, saving for a home, saving for your own...
Quote: Originally Posted by rjakapeanut no. also, how is that point relevant? do you think that a macbook is some sort of...rich accessory? No, but it is a fitting example of an overpriced item to pay for the additional name brand. And not everyone lives in New Orleans. In NYC, the median income is $56k.
Quote: Originally Posted by rjakapeanut if you think that $240k a year is required to be "comfortable" then one of two things are happening here.. 1.) no, you have never been poor / been through a serious struggle. 2.) you are dumb. no other possible explanation. Weren't you the one that considered a macbook as a necessity?
Quote: Originally Posted by RSS Is living in New York, NY -- or on the North Shore -- a requirement for "comfort?" Of course not, although it tends to be a requirement depending on your chosen profession and your ability/willingness to shift into another industry or job.
I think a lot of us that live in NYC are biased because we sure as hell know $200k isn't any where near rich here. Considering the median apartment price is $1.1m, you really do have to work hard to be able to afford it.