or Connect

Posts by v.freeman

Quote: Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH We are. By buying all of their garbage and using their labor. I hope you weren't serious.
Currently flies below the radar, but definitely a good bet for the future. Small class sizes compared to most b-schools. From what I've read, Yale SOM has a small endowment, but the school is also "unnamed" so if they ever decide to go that route, I'm sure they can raise a good amount of money.
I was cracking up last night. "Where's the other one? Greasing up in the bathroom?"
Quote: Originally Posted by panther2k I've been working in NY in investment banking since graduating undergrad last May. When buyside recruiting picked up ~ a month ago I realized I'm much more interested in doing my own thing than continuing to work for someone else. The sudden "realization" of banking analyst herd-mentality? Make no mistake about it, fund raising is incredibly tough.
Mmmm... that's some good no-no juice.
Quote: Originally Posted by otc Eh...most people here don't seem to be "Woe is me". They seem to have accepted that they work it (and there is an odd sense of pride amongst fresh ibankers of how much they work...obviously a coping mechanism but whatever) I used to want to work that many hours until I actually had to do it. Then I realized how much it sucked.
And just so I add some value to this thread, what do you mean by "corp fin". Finance function at a financial services firm? Finance function at an industrial company? Business development? The BIWS modules have my recommendations, assuming you mean modeling for business development.
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 True but then again, his class would be 10 minutes long... So he tells his students that it's common practice on the street to just use comparable multiples and simply apply them to metrics - then he gives his own views on how relative valuation should be done to be "correct" (which is as you pointed out using multiple variable regressions). Yeah, I once explained how we were taught multiple regression...
Quote: Originally Posted by gdl203 Damodaran is actually close to what's done in practice. He teaches relative valuation (comps) which is ordinarily not seen as academically correct or relevant - even though it's the primary valuation methodology in practice. The way he teaches relative valuation incorporates regression analysis. From what I've seen in practice, most people just use multiples.
Depends on how solid the buyside shops are. I wouldn't necessarily consider buyside -> b-school -> buyside again as an easy route. Not to mention the uncertainty/lack of advancement opportunities at smaller firms.