or Connect

Posts by Kurt N

Aren't you special? House reminds everybody of themselves. THAT'S WHY THE SHOW'S A HIT, IDIOT!!
Archivist, thanks for that signature quote, which led me to her immensely entertaining obituary in The Telegraph!
Quote: Originally Posted by GBR It would be easier to see the garment being worn to get the full effect but it certainly not something one would be able to buy today - nor would it be very desirable but some things can be considered dateless. Flares give the game away so probably best avoided. This strikes me a pretty much on target. It's obviously not today's fashion, but it's not trendy-dated either. If you're worried about the "old man"...
Quote: Originally Posted by VaderDave This is a book I had (and still have, although it was like four editions ago) from an argument/informal logic class I took in undergrad. I really thought it was quite good. http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/053462586X As somebody who used to teach philosophy courses in informal logic, I would say a book on that topic is a good supplement but shouldn't be your primary source. Informal logic is a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Journeyman Looking at shirts of mind that have split yokes, most of them have not orientated the fabric diagonally - it is still horizontal. In fact, I think that the only shirts of mine with split yokes that have diagonally-oriented fabric are my bespoke H&K shirts. All the others are oriented horizontally. Therefore, I would have to conclude that nowadays, split yokes are by and large simply a cosmetic feature, rather than...
At least they're hideously expensive for how good they look.
To me, in the photo the welt on the longwings looks synthetic, so I don't think they're top quality. But it's a classic look, happens to be very in right now as well, and for that price they're a great find even if the quality is only so-so. I would be very pleased to have snagged them. I would find a good local guy to do the resoling, though. Send-away resoling/recrafting is worth the expense only for high-quality shoes. +1 on what others have said about not getting...
Flat front for chinos because pleats are dressy, and because maintaining the creases in cotton twill means extra hassle. Pleats for dress trousers worn with a belt. Flat front for dress trousers worn with braces, because that allows more ease in the waistband and now you don't want/need additional ease below it. (I learned this from Sator.)
Quote: Originally Posted by BPFT Might not agree with his politics, but the man has some style and charisma. Strangely enough, Berlusconi actually looks better when he doesn't dye his scalp starting at the hairline. Somebody mentioned Willie Brown. In a recent interview, Brown was asked why he thought people made such a big deal about his clothes. His answer was vintage Brown: "Because I make a big deal about them!" (EDIT - Here's the quote:...
Quote: Originally Posted by pauliec Is that even a style? That looks absurd. It's one common way to tie a day cravat, or ascot, but with a standard necktie it's lazy--which makes for an odd combo with the stereotypically fastidious braces.