or Connect

Posts by skeptic

I measure a 10 1/2C and always had trouble finding shoes (especially loafers) that fit.  (This state of affairs also explains why I mostly wear AE (own the Mapleton) and Alden, even for casual shoes as some are available in my size or that I can special order.)  As Alden seems a bit staid (although they are great shoes and the chukka boots I own are certainly not staid), I've been looking for shoes of the same quality but in more "stylish" makes, even if I have to...
I recently purchased a cashmere sweater in bordeaux (the shade of which is better than most others I've seen) manufactured by Lochcarron in Scotland. (Interestingly, the fit of most of my English- or Scottish-made sweaters is much less tent-like than the american counterparts.) Quality is the best I've seen in cashmere, but I don't have much experience. Can anyone here compare with the other manufacturers?
In addition to the low vamp penny, Alden makes a long vamp model, which is available in dark brown suede. Low Vamp Handsewn
Quote: And here I thought it was, "One man's fish is another man's poisson." You have just brought to surface nightmares of a certain probability distribution, proofs of maximum likelihood estimators reaching the Cramer-Rao bound...  Any math majors in here?
Quote: Quote: If that's your only reason for dressing that way, perhaps. But, I think the usual point of said "inconspicuous consumption" is to enjoy all the qualities of a well-made garment, including the fact that it's more flattering than a poorly made one, without calling undue attention to the name recognition value of a high-profile designer. I agree with your point completely.  Narcissism is tricky to define.  It is not about...
I believe we are all repulsed by the vulgar conspicuous consumption that is part of the "Eurotrash" look and its American equilvalents.  But equally repulsive, I think, is the reaction often displayed to this: inconspicuous consumption.  That is, wearing clothing that only the highly fashionable would recognize in order to gain a feeling of exclusivity.  Both are equally narcissistic. I, and I think most others on this forum, simply wear what they feel stylish in....
The status of pleats being in or out waxes and wanes. Soon the fashion industry will "discover" pleats again and they will be "in". Pleats are the classic trouser style, however, and all always correct. If you do wear pleats, be sure to cuff the pants. That being said, I prefer flat fronts as they flatter my body type. I will wear single pleats on a dressier suit. I believe pleats look dressier, but some may differ on that opinion. It is really a personal preference.
I live in Altoona. I like snow, so it is not so bad. I was reading more about the tie knots mentioned above. It turns out that there are 13 "aesthetically pleasing" knots given considerations of symmetry and balance. Apparently, the physicists developed a rigorous mathematical model for predicting all types of tie knots. It seems not all mathematical types dress themselves from the dirty laundry pile. And if you are feeling a bit silly and you like big knots, try a few...
Hi everyone. After lurking here for a few weeks, I have just joined the board. Living in central Pennsylvania-- not exactly the most stylish of places--can get quite wearisome. I thought some of you may be interested in the useless knowledge that can be found here Theory of Tie Knots Now you can have a different knot for each tie (provided you own exactly 85 ties).