or Connect

Posts by skeptic

I'm planning a basic suiting wardrobe (made-to-measure) of about 4 or 5 suits.  After a few months of learning and trying different styles, below is what I came up with.  I know the members will fault me for this, but even if I could afford 20 suits, I don't want to spend too much time searching for them or buying new ones every year, so I'm looking for something timeless, as I hope these last (construction-wise) for a while.  I figure I can add a personal touch here or...
Reading this forum has much enhanced my sartorial knowledge (my colleagues now think I'm crazy when I discuss the aesthetics of the line widths on dress shirts). Just want to thank everyone for their contributions. It's a bit early, but as my wardrobe is lacking in lightweight outerwear, I was planning on picking up a jacket or coat or two sometime soon. I have a field jacket in taupe, but was thinking of something classy such as this...
You may also be left-footed while being right-handed. Oddly enough, I'm right-handed, but my feet are ambidextrous and my right is bigger than my left.
http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/Catal...Action=fitting has information on how all the Alden lasts fit.  If you assume the Aberdeen last fits true to size and the same as AE, you can go from there. Of course, the AE lasts are different from one another. Last 4 in AE fits me perfectly and the same size in Alden's Aberdeen fits nearly as well.
I think Andy is correct about the sizes just being European (+10), but another item by the same company ranges from 39/40 to 54/56, which confused me. (29 chest?...and no, it's no unisex). Both items are coats. I just wondered if they were incorporating length or something into the numbers, as I've seen this before. I don't think you're big foot, as I wear a 44 shoe (converting, as I don't own any European-made shoes). :-) Actually, the ideal body proportions (for a man)...
No, so I'm assuming it's similar to forcing people into 38/40, for instance. What threw me is the 61/62...that's an awfully large chest. But, perhaps these are the actual garment sizes? Strange, because nothing else there is sized that way.
A few years back, I discovered a French catalog company, Cyrillus. Apparently, they expanded from producing clothes for babies and children (as did Boden, I believe). Most of their items for men are basic and conservative but also tasteful, I believe, and with lots of browns (which I used to eschew but now endorse). I did notice that some of their shoes were made in England with Goodyear welt construction. Wonder who makes them? And I do like the fact their sizing system...
I recently ran across clothing made by Taillissime with sizes ranging from 42/43 through 61/62, which seems to be some combination of chest sizes and something else added on to the numbers. Anyone care to explain? Not planning on purchasing any items, but just curious.
With a suit, I wear an ambassador (also known as a diplomat and similar to a cossack). It's a russian hat usually made from beaver fur or lambswool. It's a perfect dressy hat for Pennsylvania winters. For more casual occasions, I wear a boina (actually, a Hoquy beret...I've seen them as low as $36) or a plain old skullcap. I believe berets were usually worn by English schoolboys and not very often in France anymore. That being said, ignore people who laugh at the fact...
That's a close to perfect fit. However, after laundering it will probably shrink 2-3% which means your sleeves will be too short. (This happened to me after ordering my first mytailor.com shirt (not Jantzen)--the sleeves shrunk a whole inch, but the collar only 1/4 inch (< 2%).)