or Connect

Posts by spectre

"Via Il Vecchio". A street could be named after him. "reverse snobbery" is as originally described - it has nothing to do with people in tracksuits yelling at people in suits. All of my suits and jackets are more than eight years old and will probably see me out. They show absolutely no signs of wear but have never been dry cleaned. I have been happy for a long time now with what I have and what I have is more than enough. I'm also happy that I'm not...
I have cashmere coats in camel in DB and SB and a navy one in SB and find I wear them all regularly in rotation. Camel looks great with grey and navy suits as well as casually with cords, jeans, white jeans etc...
Quote: Originally Posted by JohnGalt When I was in college I was car shopping and went to an MB dealer. It was after work and I was dressed well as I had just had a meeting. I finally started talking to a salesman and he was pretty much just going through the motions. He must have told me 5 times in 5 minutes how many people just go in there wanting to test drive a car. I was pissed. I bought an Audi. I'd take an Audi over an MB any time...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kei-bon injecting a note of controversy? I just dress dull, I guess. I could make a Mennonite look like Liberace.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aperipan I've seen a lot of old men with their fedora hats and brown English shoes, and while those accessories may have been middle class in their days, I notice they command serious attention from waiters and bank tellers as they visit these establishments. I would like to stop wearing Pumas and Surf clothes in exchange for something more business like. However, I don't have the means yet to afford the latest stuff from Thom...
What I like about him is that he continues to wear clothes he has had for years and years, never wavering or succumbing to even the most pervasive trend. Some of his overcoats must be decades old but you see him in them over and over. As far as matching patterns and colours is concerned he is the best I've seen - sometimes you have to look very closely to see the differences at work because they are so subtle.
1. Buy the best you can afford, even if it's one very good suit over three ordinary ones, and gradually build that way. 2. Make sure the fit is as good as it can be. 3. The fewer patterns and colours involved in a single outfit the more elegant it will be. PS: avoid trends, like the briefly popular peak lapel single breasted suit or ultra slim fits currently in vogue.
Following on from the 'biggest waste of money' thread, what is your best spent money? For me it's a navy winter weight Corneliani cashmere blazer which I bought eight years ago and have worn a couple of times a week ever since. It's in better condition than when I got it, lapels have rolled nicely to the third button etc. Never once been dry-cleaned and has such moderate features (medium width lapels, slightly but not too high notch etc) I think I'll be wearing...
no
Try Finamore or Barba at shopthefinest.com. They are spread collars and quite high.