or Connect

Posts by spectre

Yep, suede loafers fit the bill. Suede anything actually. As far as shirts and suits etc go the Proper Cloth website and associated Men of Habit show a fair representation of what I am talking about. There is a black watch shirt there worn with a navy knit tie and navy jacket which looks awesome. I realise this is a complete departure of my previous insistence on dressing like the early Bond movies. I have no rational explanation.
Interesting, thanks Gus. Just trying to move suits and sport coats in a different direction so they're not always dismissed as formal or office wear. We are traditionally welded to this view but I think there is more scope for them and at least they might be retained in the face of slobwear.
I agree about Clag's shoes. Desert boots would look perfect.
Thank you Trini. I wish Diavolo could weigh in but he's not wanted here...too many arguments with the wrong people over topics which had nothing to do with clothes. Spectre is the moderate face of Diavolo and it's the best I can do. For the record Diavolo would have said break the rules and try the bloody desert boots....radical as they are with suits. Start with an odd jacket and flannel pants (or bone cotton pants and sandy coloured desert boots as you guys are...
I was a mod when mods were cool back in the sixties so perhaps subconsciously, it's not such a big deal for me to pull on desert boots with more formal clothes. My German friends are far, very far, from "uptight" - but perhaps this works better in the laid back Aussie environment. I love the Patrick Johnson look and it would improve certain workplaces ... Probably would be banned in others. There is an upbeat, sporty and happy feel about it. It really is all about...
P.Johnson was the link I was going to give you. Check pjt.com then Look book or patrickjohnsontailors.tumblr.com and archive for something of an idea of what I am talking about. A lot of it is casual, or mainly not suits, but the guys in the shops wear their suits with desert boots with great aplomb. It could be a way, at least here, of easing guys into suits and sport coats. Whenever I have worn this combo I feel as comfortable as if I'm in casual stuff. Jersey...
I know it sounds like there's no way it will work, but I will look around and send you some pics when I get back home later. I love wearing suits...I'm just trying to work out ways of "de-formalising" them now I am wearing them for fun, not work. Trying to sort of take the starch out of them...
Good on you. I don't see it much on this forum, as I don't see much with an Italian flavour here. An attempt at it, yes, but nothing that looks very convincing. It's not supposed to be special, more an option for people here who don't live in Italy to consider. Do you wear desert boots with suits and odd jackets or are you equating them with chukkas, which I certainly am not. PS: I really love that outfit, to me it's as good as it gets.
If made up words like casualisation offend you or you find the concept of suits and desert boots heresy, maybe this is not for you. The inspiration for this thread comes partly from the recent discussion about Nick P and Eidos Napoli and partly from a new informality in Australia (Melbourne mainly) which has been injected into tailored menswear by the sartorially literate, if such a thing exists here. It is an extension of the sport coat and tie approach, made informal...