or Connect

Posts by cptjeff

Everyone looks great this week, and I voted for a lot of people. Good job, I think this puts the idea that navy on navy is somehow verboten to rest.
You do realize that most of the discussion on Chinese these last few pages has been linguistic explanation of why, simply due to the structure of the languages, the idea that Chinese will increase in usage significantly is false, right? Besides the fact that the EU as a unit is the world's #1 economy and the US is #2, Western languages enjoy several major advantages over eastern ones when it comes to usage as the lingua franca. Chinese will never manage to claim that role...
I recommend "The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson for a fun look at the history and structure of English. A lot of it is around the US/British divide, but there's some fun stuff in there about how it compares to other languages.As for Chinese, it's all the same language, just with varying pronunciations in various regions that are often radically different and thus incomprehensible to each other. The written form is universal. Chinese has very few syllables, so where they're...
Everybody in the world learns English these days. It's not just the language of science, it's become the language of diplomacy and of business and of everything else. There are multiple factors to that, which I'm too lazy to type out right now, but it mainly has to do with the British Empire, meaning that English is already spoken in such a huge array of places, and the structure of the language itself, which is incredibly flexible compared to most languages. Everybody...
Looks pretty normal to me.
Wore this yesterday, but didn't have a chance to take a good photo that morning, so I took a crappy one with my closet mirror last night. Sadly, my new phone, despite having a very high resolution camera, is horrible at image stabilization. So none of the close up shots turned out, but I thought I'd throw it up here anyway.
No. Houndstooth and paisley are entirely different patterns.This is Houndstooth:This is Paisley:
I think all three would be better with different pants. The top half of those shots are great. Wonderful jackets and great fit. The pants do very much say "I didn't know what else to put on" to me. I'd have gone khaki with the top one, and olive or chocolate with the bottom two. You really need to branch out with your pants.The main reason I'm getting on you is that this is an advice thread, and you are giving very narrow advice in a very strong way. If you want to wear...
Just as a matter of color theory, earthtones go more naturally with brown then gray does. I virtually never opt to wear gray with brown jackets- brown sweaters sometimes, but I almost always wear khaki, dark brown or olive with the jackets. And my outfits are not unsuccessful. Navy gets worked in there on occasion (actually quite a lot if you count jeans), but a lot more than gray. The long running wisdom on matching earthtones is "any other earthtone". It's not bad...
What? Gray might work with brown SCs in some cases, but it's not usually the best option with earthtones. A much lighter or much darker brown than the jacket (chocolate brown/khaki) works well, olive works well, navy works well. I'd put gray of any shade behind all of those on my list of recommendations.And olive is not that hard a color. Gray sportcoats do work- a gray herringbone tweed is not hard, a gray windowpane is not hard. Also, navy, and any earthtone distinct...