or Connect

Posts by Xenon

Quote: Originally Posted by DWFII The real issue is what marketing is/does--it presents a face...suitably powdered and rouged...to as large an audience as possible. As large as money can buy. That's the great conundrum of all the Traditional Trades--the last thing we want is customers...or even admirers...who do not know ("appreciate" in the fullest sense of the word) what they are getting but want it right now. That always leads to either a nervous...
Quote: Originally Posted by ajv Xenon, There are a few countries where bespoke shoe-making is a tradition that is surviving, i.e. UK and a few in continental Europe.... And do not forget the amount of time it takes from measuring the foot and making the last, to the finished product. This means that as artisan will not be able to produce much more than 60 pairs a year if he works alone. This artisan has thus not the time or the ressources for...
My motivation and goal is to learn a skill and be almost self sufficient in making my own shoes and those of family members and this to the highest standards. I have wanted to do this for a long time and I have everything to learn but I have to start somewhere. Right now there are wooden lasts building up in my basement and only a handful of VERY busy shoe artisans left. I want to try to preserve what ever I can of this skill just like I have tried to preserve cabinet...
Shoefan that is simply awesome!! That you are self taught!!!!!!!!!!!! Actually being able to make your own shoes is beyond awesome. I want to try my hand ( as hobby) as well and have these questions if you don't mind: How do you sew the uppers - where did you purchases the machine to do so? Where do you source your leathers for uppers and soles What about thread needles, glues(for stiffenners) ect thanks
Quote: Originally Posted by Kamapuaa You like 1:1? Are we looking at the same picture? This is not 1:1. Granted she doesn't have the hips of a horse or hippo but that is a GOOD thing. And if we were to accept that her waist hip ration is infact 1:1 then 1:1 would be the new World Wide Accepted Ideal.
Quote: Originally Posted by w.o.e.is.me. +1 Why is that not a good sign? It really means she has a good posture and is comfortable in high heels with no spine overcompensation. She has a beautiful figure with close to perfect hip to waist ratio.
Quote: Originally Posted by atroopan Alexandra Escat - That's what Andrew Windsor is trying to tap ! Shoes? - What shoes? - I hadn't made it that far down yet ! Wow she is a real cutie! She would be perfect with a thinner more elegant nose though
As others have said texture/feel can vary tremendously in the same type of material. A very very tightly woven silk can be very rigid and specifically if it was treated with various fire retardents. Because of this it would surprise me greatly if anyone even on SF were very successful in determing fiber composition on casual inspection of something that was made to fool us. The burn test does work however. Lastly I have seen improperly labeled clothing and this was...
Quote: Originally Posted by Vittorio J Nothing sexier than a woman wearing Louboutin's :-) Very true! Although this particular style has been copied successfully by many makers. In any regards this woman is a total babe and the shoes are oustanding. The dress is nice as well. This woman gets a 1000 extra bonus points for likely being lighter than the shoes Quite simply it would be a sin for her to be in any other type of shoe. BTW...
yes Hugo boss are fused and they will get no love here on SF. I am assuming you have wide square shoulders but thin with small waist. The sad truth is that for that type of physique there are very few RTW suits that seem to compare to Boss in fit in any price range without significant help from a skilled tailor. E Zegna or couture are far better suits but they will require alot of tailoring but if done correctly will look better/ more natural. There is one thing...