or Connect

Posts by tim_horton

Quote: Originally Posted by Grayland I occasionally wear olive green trousers with a navy blazer and it looks pretty good. Yeah, olive and navy go great together... Actually, I'm looking for an olive SC to go with my navy trousers.
Quote: Originally Posted by Axelman 17 Not sure of the provenance but I like this one from PG. It looks like this one was made up as a sportcoat but it actually strikes me more as suiting. That looks great. A while back I had seen a navy suit with crimson/red hued pinstripes, and while I wasn't looking for a pinstripe suit I really liked the color scheme. If I can find something like this in a not-too-heavy fabric it might be the...
Quote: Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger H&S Peacock is good if you want it to be bold. Quote: Originally Posted by Despos Peacock is jacketing, OP wants suiting. NYR, I should have specified in my post, I'm probably leaning towards the conservative side. I'm thinking charcoal/gray or navy background with a more subtle windowpane, though I'm kind of fishing for ideas, which is why I wanted to look through a few...
I'm thinking of having a windowpane suit made, since I haven't found any OTR that I like. Can anyone give advice on good fabric books for this? I'm thinking something three-seasonal wool, maybe closer to the lighter end - definitely not winter weight, I'd rather add a heavy jacket than sweat. The suit is not intended for formal business occasions, though I may wear it to work from time to time. Thanks in advance.
What material is considered preferable for a trench coat?
I have one. It looks and feels fine (I hope.) Too new to comment on durability. It's damn warm though.
Quote: Originally Posted by musicguy My advice: It'll take time to develop your own style. Start slowly. It may end up that you change your mind about wearing some items. Get a few nice pieces at first and go from there. This should be automatically forwarded to everyone who creates a new account on SF - and I'm speaking as a guy who's not far away from where the OP is (except for his height. ) The problem when someone (like me) gets his...
I'll go with ties. I think there's some acceptance that suits and shoes can cost that much, they're much more durable. They also come in sizes, so I think it's accepted that one has to pay more for something to fit, even if it's OTR. But ties, barring custom jobs (which I had never heard about until I found this place) are one-size-fits-all, and can be had very, very cheaply. Additionally, they're on the surface more fragile than shoes or suits.
I like my Sam Hober ties. I never realized how useful it is to have a tie made to a specific length until I ordered some from him. Now all my other ties feel too long (I'm 5'6".) And while they're not cheap in an absolute sense, they're very affordable considering how high-quality they are. And there's enough selection of fabric and color to satisfy most people's needs.
I've worked in retail but have no stories to top these. I did have a job selling rollerblades one summer. A lady came in wanting to buy a pair for her niece overseas. I told her without the niece being there, it would be hard to just sell her a pair and be sure that they'd be comfortable. So the lady took out some cutout tracings of her niece's feet... That was a weird job. It was at Paragon Sporting Goods in Union Square, for all the New Yorkers. Paragon would give...