or Connect

Posts by tim_horton

I agree, the Seamaster wears small for it's size, which is a big plus for me. That thickness, though...
Nice write up Blaugrana. Were you in NYC? We may have crossed paths since I was doing some watch window shopping as well. I went to the Omega boutique first to check out the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial. I will preface this by saying that I'm a dress watch guy and don't own any divers, butwoukdlike a nice waterproof watch for the beach. I really liked the Seamaster, but as you say the thickness was a real sticking point. The dial is great and surprisingly I preferred...
For all you New York City residents, are there good stores for watch straps you could recommend? I'm planning on going to Jean Rousseau but would like to check out some others as well.
Those are all great pieces. I had been specifically looking for dress watches without a seconds hand, though, which narrowed the field a bit (and I wound up not getting anything.)
I see your points, but (realistically) you can't commission a watch the way you would a bespoke suit. If someone was in the market for a two-handed dress watch, it's doubtful they will find something that ticks 100% of all of their boxes. A movement that is a couple of mm undersized isn't a very big concession (for some) in a watch that may otherwise satisfy all of the criteria that they are looking for.I was looking at two-handed dress watches a while back ... it seemed...
Agreed. I would also rather have the Saxonia Thin be 37mm with the current movement that is a bit undersized and be priced at $15,000 than the Saxonia Thin be 37mm with an all-new movement made for the new size but be priced at $24,000...
True. That "gee-whiz" factor is present in so many fields - I see it every week in regards to orthopaedic implants - that one would have to have blinders on to not see it in mechanical watches, which are, technologically speaking, an anachronism.
On your last point, I have to disagree with you. I don't think too many people who would view ALS as pretenders compared to Patek and Rolex. They offer a very high-end product on par with any other manufacturer, and one superior to most. Then again, I don't really know any collectors in real life, and rumor has it that the resale value of Lange is not nearly as strong as Patek or Rolex, so you may have a point. That being said, they do have their quirks. What is that...
I believe the issue is that in a modern wrist watch, a 3/4 plate is unnecessary. It is an innovation developed for pocket watches and serves no real purpose in the modern Lange movements, other than to give a nod to Lange's past (if one believes there is a connection between the current Lange and the one of years ago) and to needlessly thicken the movement.
Excellent. The Saxonia Thin's major flaw was that it was just too large. I never understood why they made it 40mm in the first place. Well, I do understand, modern trends towards larger sizes etc. but I don't think it worked out with the Thin.The price drop compared to the 40 mm version is nice as well.