or Connect

Posts by broken_oracle

Wow. That German guy is... obsessed. Great image resource though, many thanks. In other news, these are not my size, but someone should snap 'em up - gorgeous! (Any guesses as to which of the many brown leather options was used?) http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-VTG-WHITES-Logger-Smoke-Jumper-Work-Boots-Brown-Mens-9-5-E-/271452028890?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item3f33cd3fda
Nothing but an extra button to sew in place of any you might lose on front. Including spare buttons like this on the inside of a garment used to be a fairly common practice with men's jackets & trousers.
Yup Filson's definitely jumped the shark with this car & bike nonsense. They're sending me a catalog every three weeks, filled with trinkets like key fobs, logo flasks & dog coats, and each time it looks like the prices on their flagship jackets go up - my double mackinaw now costs 60% more than what I bought it for just a few years back, and with a thinner grade wool (24 oz instead of 26). All their new shirt offerings are a disaster... nothing as simple as a sturdy,...
So I've been lurking here for a while, and have now read all 2,058 posts on this thread. I'd like to thank you all for the wealth of information & images; you've convinced me to invest. My Redwing 'Gentleman Travelers' (style# 9013) are about to bite the dust after three years of near-daily wear, two resolings, and one climb up an active volcano - the heels are loosening, but the leather around the ball of each foot is badly cracked (I discovered Obenauf's too late in...
After nearly two years & one resole I had a lace snap, caught up on a bike crank. Anyone know where the hell I can find a replacement pair of the flat laces that come with these? Always stayed tied tight, clean, and looked great. I've checked a few footwear & even only-shoelaces megasites, no luck. Need to be about 48" long (7 eyelets).
Purchased a pair of russet GT's in June of 2010. Broke in beautifully, and have worn them on a near daily basis since. Most comfortable & versatile shoes I've ever had. About 13 months in though, the sole stitching began to pop, and then the right sole broke in half at the base of the treads. According to the Red Wing website any guarantee expires after a year, and I fear investigating what it would cost to have a good cobbler resole these here in Chicago. But why buy...
I tried on the Olive "Machinist" shirt at the Stag store in Austin last weekend - the medium fit me like a charm (38L/40 suit), was of exceptionally high quality, and looked so good my girlfriend's jaw dropped when I walked out of the dressing room. Couldn't afford the $180 pricetag on my pay though; something to watch for on eBay I suppose. That would be this shirt: http://bit.ly/fseQT1
Most of this is still crazy overpriced or things like sunglasses & socks I would never bother to buy from them anyway. But a few of the shirts look like relative bargains, as do the raincoat, women's logger jacket, & bomber jacket. Most notably the all-season raincoat is marked down to $180 from about $300, just cuz they're discontinuing that blue color. Yesterday four different styles of Red Wing boots were also included, though today they've mysteriously...
I have not worn a Filson Tin Cruiser, but I do have a double mackinaw cruiser, size 40. I'm about 185cm & 77kg (6'1"-2"/170lbs) and this fits well. Room enough to layer beneath if needed, without feeling too loose if worn over just one shirt. As for tin cloth, the tin packer hat I have did shrink substantially after a long hot summer of Louisiana rainstorms & sun, so that might be something to take into consideration. The shrinkage was enough I'm thinking of buying a...
Weird... the Navy Seals are wearing Filson now. According to this US Government website, "Naval Special Warfare Group 2" just put in an order for 95 tin bibs & 95 Tin Cloth Field Jackets: https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportun...=core&_cview=0