or Connect

Posts by broken_oracle

I have ordered leather laces from White's before - can't compare them to Viberg's though as I have no experience with the latter brand. The White's leather laces are pretty robust, thick enough that speed hooks are anything but speedy the first few weeks. Obenaufing helps with the stiffness, and they have a very slight elasticity over the instep that makes long days on my feet more bearable. Also great if you're welding, as the sparks won't melt them through like nylon...
The woman on far right in the blue suit with grey vest = total babe. Pulls off the "I'm a woman, but it's a menswear convention so I'm gonna wear menswear" thing quite well, with just the right touch of humor.
I wear a 40L suit, bought a size 40 mackinaw vest some years ago. There's definitely room for layering beneath - if you'll be wearing it outdoors in truly cold parts of the country, as I do, that's probably a good idea. If not, and you'll just have it over a normal shirt (& undershirt?), I'd definitely go one size down.
"If anyone cares for a review of my specific build and the leather, I'd be happy to write another post." - @Neognosis Curious what you have to say about British Tan - it's on a shortlist of mine for any future lightduty-workboot builds.
durrr... I somehow completely missed the "CXL" in that post. Was thinking about getting another pair of BH's at 8" in brown or natural chromexcel to rotate out with my distressed smooth 6" BH at work. The latter get beat up enough already, maybe CXL's not the way to go.
I have no experience with Filson's soy wax material, but I wouldn't consider their tin cloth to necessarily be the gold standard. Though I love it still, my Tin Cruiser has been patched & rewaxed so many times it's approaching Theseus Paradox territory. I've only had it four years, so I find these claims of decades of use to be baffling. Perhaps it's the imported cotton fabric that's to blame?
Off topic, but this thread has been cracking me up - strange that Smokejumpers have yet to make an appearance... "SW&D: End of the World Challenge - Your Last Outfit"
You could check http://www.styleforum.net/t/405362/the-great-cascadia-boot-thread/'The Great Cascadia Boot Thread'
I have a 6" pair of Bounty Hunters with a standard height heel & speed hooks all the way up, plus a pair of Semi-Dress (5") with a 1/4" reduced heel. I actually work in the first pair daily, moving heavy shit around, hopping on & off loading docks, in & out of trucks, etc. The second pair is for my afterwork life, Mr. Rogers style. -I would definitely go with the reduced heel on any future pair, and I haven't noticed any difference in arch support (note these boots are...
...now I just need a spare $2,500