or Connect

Posts by broken_oracle

Many thanks to all here, especially those posting photos with specs, and information about differences in lasts. After reading all 5,000 posts & asking a few questions, I finally placed my order last Friday. I went from initially thinking I'd want a pair of brown horse hide semi-dress with 700 soles to this, based on what I found on this forum, leather samples sent by Baker's, & two brief phone conversations with Kyle once Baker's had received my tracings. These will be...
James - I've heard some people get their trousers hemmed with the stitching up ~4" from the actual bottom of the trouser leg specifically to avoid the boot-hook catching you describe, sometimes called a "military hem." Maybe something to keep in mind for the future?
Note this Taiwanese website suggests White's Swing Last is a Munson Last. I wonder if that's correct or if it's simply a case of the latter merely inspiring the former?
Returning here from an unsuccessful internet image hunt - can anyone point me to photos, new or broken in, of the #38 Swing Last - without celastic? I'm curious if this would reduce the 'clown shoe effect' over time. Will be placing my order Friday when paycheck clears. Spoke with Kyle & based on my tracings, measurements, Brannock size, & little-toe-crushing experiences in other boots (RW Gentleman Travelers, old Chippeaw moc toes, etc) he, surprisingly, strongly...
Hey @gregornz - you know which leather choice that is for the upper/counter? Or the roughout portion for that matter? Thanks!
How's this Huberd's compare to Obenauf's? Never had heard of it before; I've been happy with Obenauf's LP. Cursory googling suggests the primary difference is the addition of pine tar in Huberd's, and an even draw in quality / long-term effects. Anyone here have personal long-term experience using each?
Hey @trvlr472 which leather are your boots made of? Dress Brown?
Brief digression - the double-soled, handstitched leather boot Edmund Hillary used to climb Everest
hmm. Haven't yet contacted Baker's about an order, but was hoping I'd be able to have them send White's boots to try on in the requested size, width & last before a custom ordered is placed. Sounds like folks here have done that before... I assume some deposit/purchase or at least credit card info is first required.
Thanks @LouieBailie - yes, I have the foot tracing form from a White's catalog, was planning on doing that in my boot socks along with the 10 to 18 different foot measurements they want (depending on boot height). Good point about the celastic toe preventing some stretching in the horsehide.