or Connect

Posts by Simon Templar

Quote: Originally Posted by spencers Rogue waves, son Yes, apparently hundreds if not thousands of ships have gone missing/sunk because of freak, massive, rogue waves. Sometimes even on smooth seas. They just appear out of nowhere. There's some interesting research being carried out in this field - google "rogue waves".
Quote: Originally Posted by ArteEtLabore14 I'm really interested in going to teach English some in Asian country (Japan being my first choice, probably followed by South Korea and then any others). I'll be 22, with a Bachelor's in English Lit with a minor in Professional Writing. I'm really looking for some information from people with knowledge and/or experience with this. I read all the previous threads on this subject but they're all old. I need to...
Quote: Originally Posted by breakfasteatre owner is sri lanken, but that comment still applies Sub-continentals are sus when it comes to money matters. This from prior business dealings with them.
Not enough variety for my liking. Without too many commitments right now, i don't mind splurging a little on groceries.
We have 3 good quality, leather lounges - a two seater, 2.5 seater and 3 seater. They are so comfortable i have fallen asleep on them many a time watching tv after work. The 2.5 seater would be ideal as its long enough to lie on (shoes off obviously). Both seats on the 2 and a halfer, also have a lever and recline. The middle seat on the 3 seater doesn't recline so it's a bit of a waste, as no one in the family ever sits on it only visitors. A couple more things to look...
Although i wear a Submariner, it's cousin the Rolex Sea Dweller (old style not the new DSSD) is a very manly yet elegantly understated watch. Wanted one but my wrist just wasn't big enough for the more chunky Sea Dweller.
In a way i admire the Bloc Quebecois for wanting to protect their heritage, language, culture and traditions from outside influences. I think parties like that are desperately needed in Anglophone Canada, Australia. The UK has the Independence Party which i predict will get stronger and stronger as people get fed up with being sold out by the major parties.
Quote: Originally Posted by z7f9q Can't say enough how much I disagree. Seriously, that would be a recipe for economic stagnation. The Swiss/French debates have been exceptionally repellent in my view, and not at all a model to follow. How are you going to enforce belief? Punish people if they break the law, encourage civic participation, and go from there. By and large, immigrants add a lot to society, and the change they bring is generally...
Quote: Originally Posted by oman wait hang on, some of that doesn't make sense imo you guys are desperately in need of some sort of cosmopolitanism. seriously, look at the culture of rowdiness you've got, and youre blaming the immigrants for not being "compatible with western style democracy, law and way of life"? Australia is cosmopolitan enough as it is. I have no desire to see it turn into a complete "melting pot", globalisation and political...
Quote: Originally Posted by Pantisocrat Can you suggest one or two good reads on the history of Australia, from colony to the present? Better if there's audibles (audio books) for them. Glad you find this stuff interesting Pantisocrat. Robert Menzies was Prime Minister for 18 years. He had a strong belief in the principles of family, individual achievement, self-reliance and the importance of the middle class. Here is an excerpt from his...